The $10,000 question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizz65

Reaction score
Being a new wine enthusiast/maker what are some of the ingredients,additives, supplies and/or equipment might a person what to have around besides whats in the beginner kit that you get from George?

I know this is a loaded question but I think maybe a lot of us newbies would be interested in seeing and hearing what some of you might have.

To make your wine making tasks much easier I recommend these to be put on your wish list and buy them as you can.
<t></t><table id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">4812 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5Ctree_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Bottle Drainer Tree - Holds 45 bottles
</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$24.99</td></tr></t></table>
<t></t><table id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">4818 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5Cvinator2_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Bottle Rinser Vinator
</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$17.99</td>
<td width="2%">
</td></tr></t></table><t></t><table align="center" border="2" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" height="100%"><t><tr><td width="10%">5292 </td>
<td width="10%">
%5Cimages%5C2692_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="50%">

Vinbrite Filter

Comes with 6 Crystalbrite filter pads (see item #5294)</td>
<td width="10%">Harris Filters</td>
<td width="10%">$42.99</td></tr></t></table>If you are planning on doing any country wines (from fruit) then I suggest you get some pectic enzyme, acid blend, and a large fine straining bag. I would also suggest getting a spare hydrometer as they always seem to break when you need them the most. A few various size rubber bungs for for the extra win from making more then 6 gallons for topping up later. I have extra #2 and 3's with airlocks for this occasion. A floor corker is also a great improvement.
Edited by: wade

Also, if you are seriously thinking of getting into fresh fruit wines, might I suggest something like this:

DSCF0443640x480.jpg

p.s. When do Wade and I get our $10,000??

I'm not sure by question if you are talking about fruit wines or just kits, but if you are including friut wines ....I would suggest some books...The Joy of Home Winemaking by Terry Garey [highly recommended] , First Steps in Winemaking by C.J.J. Berry, Making Wild Wines and Meads by Pattie Vargas and Rich Gulling and Winemaker's recipe handbook....They can give ideas on things to make and how to do them and what you may need to do it with.....The main thing is to have fun doing it..
smiley4.gif
Edited by: PolishWineP

if you really want to know first a check book then lets see,space and then of course the toy store and don't forget the shop vac and towels,i stepped it up a notch,patients and time are at a real commodity,shop well for these ,planning is also a hard item to work in but is anessential tool to have,at least i think so the rest comes in time the most expensive tool in the tool box////have fun thats the real key

Latest posts

Back