WineXpert Thanksgiving wine....not clearing,,,help FAST!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgecaprock

Reaction score
All FVW friends,

My VR Riesling kit is not clearing. I should have bottled it weeks ago. Every step was followed as I always have. About 4 days ago I added Super Kleer and it hasn't improved much at all. Would any of you with all of your experience add another package of Super Kleer. I've only had two kits with a clearing problem but the other one was fine after I gave it a good stirring again. I also stirred this one again a few weeks ago before the Super Kleer and still.....nothing.

The only other thing...is that when I received it, it had leaked some out of the mylar bag but I don't think enough to effect the outcome.

I might have to go out and by some Pinot Noir now!!!
smiley19.gif

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

I have no clue. I never had a wine that superkleer did not work on. Maybe some pectic enzyme?

Ramona:

Like Wade, I have no experience with super clear, only use isinglass, when I need to, which is seldom since I have found that degassing helps in the clearing stage. I degas with a Mity Vac, so it's easy for me. I had an spiced apple cider wine that was cloudy for months, I vacumed all the bubbles out and literaly within a day, t was clear as a bell, 2 days later it was bottled. If you have ever done Tim's "Buttery Chardonnay" technic, it does the same thing. From all the stirring up of the lees every couple of days, I noticed that it got clearer, quickerwith each time I sired it (removing co2). Wish I could offer abetter suggestion than that, but ifthe bubbles are keeping solids in suspention, remove the bubbles!

Try pectic enzyme. I seem to recall George mentioning that it had worked on clearing a problemRiesling of another winemaker.

jobe05 said:
Ramona:

Like Wade, I have no experience with super clear, only use isinglass, when I need to, which is seldom since I have found that degassing helps in the clearing stage. I degas with a Mity Vac, so it's easy for me. I had an spiced apple cider wine that was cloudy for months, I vacumed all the bubbles out and literaly within a day, t was clear as a bell, 2 days later it was bottled. If you have ever done Tim's "Buttery Chardonnay" technic, it does the same thing. From all the stirring up of the lees every couple of days, I noticed that it got clearer, quickerwith each time I sired it (removing co2). Wish I could offer abetter suggestion than that, but ifthe bubbles are keeping solids in suspention, remove the bubbles!

Does anyone know how to make a homade vacum degasser?....I also use isinglass..
smiley10.gif

bmorosco said:
jobe05 said:
Ramona:

Does anyone know how to make a homade vacum degasser?....I also use isinglass..
smiley10.gif

I use an orange carboy cap and my vaccu-vin. Slide a vaccu-vin stopper over the large center port on the cap. Place the hand pump on it and give it a few strokes. It will take a few tries to determine how many times you need to pump. It is not the best way to do it but it works for me and I already had the stuff laying around.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Ramona, how does the wine smell or taste? Does it taste like it should? Any off odors?Is there any chance you could of got a bacterial infection from the bag leaking? What are the temps in the room you have the wine? Is it de-gassed good? Was the wine to the proper SG when you stabilized it? Did you give it an extra racking?I, like others have never had one not clear after adding some extra innisglas. I have never used the Super-KC although I have a pack. If I remember correct, one work well on reds and one on white. Not sure though.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

smurfe,

Yes, Yes, and Yes....Today Im going to give it another good stirring and let it settle out again and see what happens. I don't have a vaccu-vin.
Thanks for all of your advice so quickly!!!

Ramona

Ramona,
As I understand it, finings work on magnetic principle. Some finings are positively charged and attract negative particles and sink. Other are negatively charged and attract positive particles and sink. What I would try to find out is whether Super-Kleer is - or + and find an opposite fining agent and give that a try.

a vary large stainlee wire wisk is good for geting co2 out as well as a
fizz x and a variable drill work with getting co2 out
of wine in a primary bucket.

The wiine should be bottled a few months as welll Thanks giving is pushing it. but it will be good

Edited by: OldWino

Hi Everyone, UPDATE

I just wanted to give you an update on my Riesling. After adding the Super Kleer it was still cloudy for a few day then all of a suddenit became beautifully, sparklingly clear. I'm going to bottle it tonight and it has now become Christmas wine instead of Thanksgiving wine. I also racked a Welches "Rasberry Blush" I'm calling it, that I made from half Niagara and half Niagara/rasberry concentrate. It is a beautiful color and a very nice hint of red rasberry. And it is clearing nicely too. I used betonite when I mixed it up. I will give that one another couple of weeks.

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

That's good news Ramona. I bet it will be great for Christmas and even better next Thanksgiving. You can just say it is Thanksgiving wine- you just didn't say what year.
20061213_142131_Copy_of_rensdyr.gif

Steve,

I have to get real busy now for Winestock? That is my New Year Resolution....make more wine in '07.

Ramona

Latest posts

Back