Texas Grape Growin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sparky said:
Stdkls28, 22 brix that was fast. What are you guessing for total picking weight?

I need to really make the rounds and try some commercial black spanish wine.

Well the birds got to them before my netting arrived. Had to get it online because I could not source any large enough around here. I only ended up with about 5# due to the birds, them being young, and me starting training the vines to a new trellis system this year. So hopefully next year I'll be all set up for a nice crop.

Chisom trail's Lone Wolf (Lenoir) is nice and Dry Comal Creek has a reserve black spanish I believe. I have a bottle of Chisom Trail's Diablo (70% Syrah, 30% Lenoir) that I'm looking forward to opening.

That's a shame. HomeDepot and Lowe's has bird netting. I purchased a 7'x50' roll from Lowes about a 4-6 weeks ago. They also carry 14'x14'.

I say freeze what you have. Anything over 25# from my vines, you can have. Or pick up a can of Alexander Sun Country juice and combine your grapes with it.

John

Sparky said:
That's a shame. HomeDepot and Lowe's has bird netting. I purchased a 7'x50' roll from Lowes about a 4-6 weeks ago. They also carry 14'x14'.

I say freeze what you have. Anything over 25# from my vines, you can have. Or pick up a can of Alexander Sun Country juice and combine your grapes with it.

John

Yeah I saw those sizes but my set up needs a 28'x28'. After the weekend we were gone and they cleaned me out I bought a couple 14'x14' to try and make work.

Great minds think alike; I did freeze what I have and pondered gettin some juice or sourcing a few pounds somewhere to finish. I would greatly appreciate a few pounds if you could spare some. I only started off with enough to make half gallon to a gallon anyways which I think would be perfect for my first batch if fresh grapes. I would only need 5# to make up half gallon batch.

I'll save you and bigdrums2 some lomanto vines.

QUOTE]

That would be awesome; Thank you! I have been reading very nice things about this grape and am excited to add these to my home vineyard! I only need two or three. I know you already have Lenoir and Favorite but I can offer some cuttings off my Cab Sauv if you would like?

About 15" of rain the last couple days. I'm monitoring the Favorite for any grape splitting. I may be forced to pick them early.

John

Kind of off topic but I was wondering how you guys like growing grapes and just generaly living in Texas? I recently graduated school and have a few interviews out in the Houston area in a few weeks so, ive been entertaining the idea of relocating out there for work but of course anywhere I can grow grapes and make wine is a plus.

Texas is a wonderful place to live. In the Houston area, gardening is wide open. Year around vegetable gardens. You can grow citrus, start with Satsuma's. You can have some success with Tropicals fruits. Just be prepared to protect in the winter.

Grape growing can be a little tough in the Houston area. Usually avg, 40+ inches of rain, high humidity, low water table means planting things high. Viniferia grapes are difficult to grow. Look towards the hybrids for any chance of success.

Try some local wine varieties, "Blanc du bois" is what's hot in South right now. Many claim it gives Sauvignon Blanc a run for its money. Perhaps its Texas hype. I have yet to taste one that I like. My biggest complaint is, I just don't care for the citrusy wines. Perhaps it's just me, black coffee, dark malty/hop beer and red wine.

I wish you success.

How does your body react to humidity? Do you like sweating year round? Do you like a wet sauna? :)

Kind of off topic but I was wondering how you guys like growing grapes and just generaly living in Texas? I recently graduated school and have a few interviews out in the Houston area in a few weeks so, ive been entertaining the idea of relocating out there for work but of course anywhere I can grow grapes and make wine is a plus.

Kind of off topic but I was wondering how you guys like . . . just generaly living in Texas?
Oh Great God in Heaven - What do I like about Texas (Houston)!
Waking up on Sunday morning to Tex-Mex breakfast of Migas. The Houston Rodeo, The Houston Grand Opera, The Astros, The Rockets, The Texans, The Comets.
Not to mention: Conoco Philips, Kinder Morgan, Halliburton and the Texas Medical Center.
In adition to everything there is to do in Houston you're within a two hour drive of:
The Austin music scene and the home of Willie Nelson.
The San Antonio Riverwalk and the Alamo.
The South Padre Island beaches at spring break.
The Octoberfest and Schilitterban water park.
And only one hour from the back porch of my Beaumont home where the wine is almost as good as the BS.

You have to understand Texas is not as much a state as it is a STATE OF MIND. Check this out. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E[/ame]

Startwinning
In addition to my boastful Texas attitude[FONT=&quot][/FONT] let me add that both of my children (about your age) live in Houston and love it. They have great secure jobs and tons of fun things to do in their days off. As far as growing grapes in Houston talk to Jack Keller. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

I've only had one blanc du Bois and it was ok. Im growing my own and hope I like it! From what I tasted, it has a definite "muscat" citrus flavor to it but I would like to try some that sit on the skins for awhile. I would bet it would be a bit rounder then.

About 15" of rain the last couple days. I'm monitoring the Favorite for any grape splitting. I may be forced to pick them early.

John

I hear ya; we've been pounded just south of you in Katy as well! Seems I did right by harvesting what little I had a couple of weeks ago. Hope everything turns out great for you.

I've been watching Messina hof count down to harvest clock. Last time I looked, it was 13 days, which would have put it near the end of the month. Today, its states picking tomorrow. Right now my brix is 16-19, I don't think its' going to get much better. The berries I tried taste good, not a lot of bite to them, the seeds are on the brown side. I may follow suit.

I live in the Austin area and would love to help out at a harvest. Do you know of any vineyards that are looking for volunteers?

@cstxwine, I would head west towards Fredricksburg. There is several vineyards there.

@stdkls28, I harvested all my Favorite grapes today. What a sorry bunch of grapes this year. All that rain was no bueno. I rinsed and threw them into the freezer. I may forego the the wine this year and save 4-4.5lbs for jam and give you the rest.

John

@sparky - that sucks. It's rained here a lot as well. I guess that's the idea of terroir - some years are good, some aren't.

Sparky said:
@stdkls28, I harvested all my Favorite grapes today. What a sorry bunch of grapes this year. All that rain was no bueno. I rinsed and threw them into the freezer. I may forego the the wine this year and save 4-4.5lbs for jam and give you the rest.

John

Sorry to hear that john... I lost all the Cab Sauv to the rain as well. Just curious but what kind of yield did you end up with?

@stdkls28, Current I have only been able to destemmed about 2lbs. Like I said, once I bag 4 -4.5lbs. You are welcome to the rest of them. I estimate the total harvest was around 16 - 17lbs. Some of these bunches may not be worth even destemming.

If you are interested let me know.

John

@stdkls28, Current I have only been able to destemmed about 2lbs. Like I said, once I bag 4 -4.5lbs. You are welcome to the rest of them. I estimate the total harvest was around 16 - 17lbs. Some of these bunches may not be worth even destemming.

John

I am very interested; I still have my poor amount frozen. Let me know if you'd like some help with processing your harvest in return. I'm free this Saturday. PM me if so.

sparky what kind did you pick, what year and can you estimate the lbs per vine?

Ive got blanc du bois, conquistador and black spanish but they are only first year leaf.

John

Latest posts

Back