Texas Grape Growin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stdkls28

Winemakin Texan
Reaction score
My black spanish and "favorite" grapes

ForumRunner_20120524_131219.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120524_131246.png
    ForumRunner_20120524_131246.png
    366.6 KB · Views: 383
  • ForumRunner_20120524_131300.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120524_131300.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 378
Ahhhh Houston. Where you plant the miniature variety of everything because everything grows 2X as big!

They look great!

Thank y'all and Im just hoping the birds dont get them. How do y'all with these big vineyards control this?

Thank y'all and Im just hoping the birds dont get them. How do y'all with these big vineyards control this?

Oh, they will if they can!

Can't comment too much on what the big guys do, but you can (and should) go to most any plant nursery and buy bird prevention netting. Don't let the netting rest against the grapes,

Looks awesome. I have 1 black spanish that has one cluster of grapes on it although I should have technically cut it off as its a 2 year plant that I just planted. I also have 3 more growing from some cuttings I received. I also have 4 muscadines and today I just bought a cabernet at home depot. Haaa. It was on sale for $5 and if it dies in the next 12 months I'll return it. I figured why not. Any more pictures of your backyard trellis setup? I'm over complicating my trellis system for the few random grapes I have.

captainl said:
Looks awesome. I have 1 black spanish that has one cluster of grapes on it although I should have technically cut it off as its a 2 year plant that I just planted. I also have 3 more growing from some cuttings I received. I also have 4 muscadines and today I just bought a cabernet at home depot. Haaa. It was on sale for $5 and if it dies in the next 12 months I'll return it. I figured why not. Any more pictures of your backyard trellis setup? I'm over complicating my trellis system for the few random grapes I have.

I dont have any right now but its just 2 rows of wire per vine on some T-posts.

grapeman said:
Super looking grapes. I agree with iblowin! We are barely beginning bloom here!

Thank you! I am very proud the way they are lookin but leaves are starting to dry /burn up with a little white fuzz on them only a couple at a time. The leaf you can see in the last pic is that way. Any thoughts?

not sure what the white is. My lenoir makes huge leaves and i usually cut them as soon as I see anything weird on them. I bet their not dry anymore after last night!

Well they sure are huge. Are they not ready to harvest right now, before the birds get them?

You sure have a green thumb, are you growing those in pots?

Back