Texas Grape Growin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in NW Houston, Cypress area in other words PD area. I only use organic methods in my garden. It's what works for me. My lomanto have been disease free. Last year, I had one or two vine branch tips die back 2-3". No disease this year. What was tough this year on the grape vines was grape skeletizing caterpillars. Liquid Bt worked wonders.

Last years production numbers, 7 lomanto vines produced 55 lbs of grapes. The lomanto must came in at ~17. This is the 2nd production year. I made some tweeks to my growing, which hopefully will push them over 20. Once lomanto gets ripe, some berries will drop.

3-favorite produced ~24lbs.

Sparky said:
Nice looking grapes.
My Favorite grapes have a couple berries turning now. If you pull up messina hoff wines and read some specs on their BlackSpanish wines, you will see they get some of their grapes up to 32 brix. Last year was my first production year, my Favorite must was 23 brix.

I also have lomanto, that is currently reading 18 brix, I will be picking them soon.

Hmmm is it bad that mine turned so early? I'll look into Messina Hoff and 32° is up there. What month did you harvest last year?

Also what's a good brix to harvest at?

Favorite was in early August for me. I suspect since you have yours in pots that your budbreak was earlier than everyone else. Plus the extra heat on the pots may be pushing things along at a faster clip. At minimum wait 2 weeks after complete verasion to begin testing or tasting.

I don't pick for a specific brix but I do monitor it. I based my harvesting on berry sensory and the kind of wine style I think I'd like to make.

It appears everything is running 2 weeks early this year.

Sparky said:
Favorite was in early August for me. I suspect since you have yours in pots that your budbreak was earlier than everyone else. Plus the extra heat on the pots may be pushing things along at a faster clip. At minimum wait 2 weeks after complete verasion to begin testing or tasting.

I don't pick for a specific brix but I do monitor it. I based my harvesting on berry sensory and the kind of wine style I think I'd like to make.

It appears everything is running 2 weeks early this year.

Thats a good point about the being in pots, I didnt even factor that in...makes sense.

Now it seems I will need to research wine styles and their harvest specifics along with berry sensory.

Thank you Sparky!

A couple days ago, I caught a whiff of my lomanto. Today, you can really smell them. I started the harvest. I can only freeze about 10lbs a day so, it will take the remainder of the week to get them all.

I did propagate some lomanto cuttings. They are in a 15 gallon container. If any of you locals are interested in a few vines, let me know. It will probably be in the winter when I can safely remove them from the container.

John

Id love some. We can do a trade of you want. I've got norton, favorite, black Spanish, Delaware, and Chambourcin.

bigdrum2 are you local to the houston area?

I really don't have room but we can work something out. The wife might have to lose a rose bush. Chambourcin looks interesting.

John

Sparky said:
A couple days ago, I caught a whiff of my lomanto. Today, you can really smell them. I started the harvest. I can only freeze about 10lbs a day so, it will take the remainder of the week to get them all.

I did propagate some lomanto cuttings. They are in a 15 gallon container. If any of you locals are interested in a few vines, let me know. It will probably be in the winter when I can safely remove them from the container.

John

I'd be interested in taking a couple off your hands! I think my Black Spanish and Favorite will be ready for harvest in a week or so...

ForumRunner_20120624_113351.jpg

Sparky said:
bigdrum2 are you local to the houston area?

I really don't have room but we can work something out. The wife might have to lose a rose bush. Chambourcin looks interesting.

John

Not too far from Houston Mississippi.....probably 7 hours from Texas. Chambourcin rocks.

I have ~20 rooted cuttings of Lomanto. Just let me know how many you want. Remind me during the winter.

John

I will do, thank you!

Tested a grape today using refractometer and I'm at about 17 brix...getting closer! I will probably harvest around 23-25 and make a dry red wine: 80% LeNoir 20% Cab Sauv.

Nice. The brix is moving right along. You may have a 5-10 days. If you are testing berries on the shoulder the brix will be higher.

My favorite completed verasion a couple days ago. They should be ready early late July/early August. It's amazing how good BlackSpanish/Favorite clusters look. I need to work on controlling their vigour.

I'll save you and bigdrums2 some lomanto vines.

Last Thursday, I finished harvesting lomanto. Ended up with just over 74 lbs from 7 vines. I have 70# in the fermenter right now. They are still thawing out. Must temp is currently 33f. I hope to pitch yeast tomorrow. The remaining 4+# is for grape jam.

Yes sir they are, and thats the time frame I was thinkin as well. Will test again next Saturday. Also I tested near the bottom of the cluster. I agree the clusters do look wonderful!

74# is a great crop of grapes and an average of ~10# a vine should ensure nice quality grapes!

Wow that's a good load. How are y'alls vines doing in this heat?I was a bit disappointed in my blanc du Bois until we started hitting 85 every day. They seem to love heat. My favorite and norton are doing well also, and of course my muscadine just smiles at the sun.

We had a few above normal days in June but overall, Houston has been running about normal with our weather. The vines are enjoying this weather, especially the occassional rain. I need to work on my Favorite vines. They are a gnarly mess right now.

I was called out on my lomanto thread. They were requesting pictures. If you want to see them. Please look here
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f60/lomanto-wine-14391/#post357423

John

I've been reading this post for a few weeks, amazed at how well the vines are doing for you guys.
Well, I'm the NW Harris County area too. I am growing 9 Chardonnay vines... yeah I know, too hot for them and PD will eventually destroy them.
Anyway, I planted them last year towards the end of summer. So far, they are growing very well. As mentioned above, when the temps hit the 85 area they really started to grow.

Hey man grow what you want and maybe it will work. I tried zin one year....and it failed miserably. If you don't mind spraying a lot to protect from pd then it could work. If they fail, try chardonnel. It was made from Chardonnay by the boys up at Geneva and has a nice taste.

LeNoir are at 22% brix...will be harvestin and crushin tomorrow!

I've read about treating the lenoir like a white wine. Too much tannin? How is the color? Ive also read about letting it breathe at least 24 hours in advance. How do you all feel?

No need to hide noclue there's plenty of room on this bus. Growing is a challenge, especially knowing PD is out there, lurking.

I have a Pinot Noir in the ground. Plus I progated 3 cuttings. It finally reached the top wire a week or two ago. It did produce some fruit, which I did manage to test a few berries. Very nice.

Stdkls28, 22 brix that was fast. What are you guessing for total picking weight?

I need to really make the rounds and try some commercial black spanish wine.

Back