Testing with hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLawrence

Junior
Reaction score
Hi. I started my first kit a little over a week ago and I wanted to check to make sure I'm using the hydrometer properly. Specifically, I am wondering if it is ok to take the measurement directly in the primary fermentation bucket. The instructions I've read always say to use the wine thief and test jar for this, but I wonder if that is necessary. I always clean and sanitize the hdrometer before each use. Is it ok to to just put it in the primary? I would prefer to bypass the wine thief and test jar since that just adds two more things to clean each time I take a measurement, but if this is likely to result in an errant reading I'll do it the other way.

Thanks! I've really enjoyed reading the forum the last couple of days. It seems like you are all a very knowledgable, helpful bunch.

I don't do it myself MLawrence but it is a perfectly acceptable method and a lot of the members employ this technique to take their SG readings.

The reason that your kit instructions say to use a thief and a test jar (as opposed to putting the hydrometer in the primary) is that the "proper" way to read the measurement is to look from the side at the same level as top of the liquid (like you're supposed to do with a measuring cup).

It's one of those things where you get proficient at estimating the actual reading when looking down on it from an angle while it's in the primary.

I have my primary on a table and have never had any problems taking a reading straight from the primary. I say give it a try.

I use the test jar with the hydrometer...fill the test jar with my wine thief/turkey baster thingy....
Lately I have tested some in the primary...I had put half a batch in 2 primaries as I wasn't sure how much foam I would get trying a new yeast...didn't want any wine overboard...got to have the primary full enough that the hydrometer floats...duh!!! Figured that out on my own...

I test in the primary, but when I first started I used a test jar/graduated cylinder... I think if you can get the hang of looking down like Funky said do it... jh

I watch this show on INHD television channel called the Wine Trails of Italy. Each show they visit vineyards of each region of Italy. They show winemakers checking the SG of their musts at almost every winery. What surprised me is every one filled the test jar until it flowed over and read the hydrometer from the top. I guess they didn't want to chance getting a improper reading from looking through the glass or plastic.

I personally drop the hydrometer in the primary regularly. I don't use the wine thief all that much. I actually use my refractometer more than the hydrometer to check my SG. I don't really care for the wine thief that much and actually wish I had a regular test jar to use.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I think the key to using the hydrometer is consistency. As long as you read it from the same angle you will get the answers you need. And if you have more than 1 hydrometer, I suggest trying to use the same one all the time for a wine. I think you can get greater variability from different hydrometers than from the angle you read it at.
By the way, I also put mine directly in the primary.

Northern Winos said:
What is the INHD TV channel..is it on Direct TV...Dish Netowrk...or your Cable Network????

I have cable. It is a High Definition (HD) channel. I subscribe to HD service and we have INHD 1 and INHD 2

http://www.inhd.com/indexFlash.jsp

I watch these channels probably more than any. They have 2 wine shows that I know of, Wine Trails of Italy and the Aussie Wine Trailsand also a pretty good show about beer calld Beer Nutz where a couple guy go around the country and visit micro breweries. Both great shows and if you have an HD tv the picture is great. Of course if you don't have an HD tv I doubt you will have these channels.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

Thanks to everyone who postedsuggestions. I started my second kit this last weekend and used the wine thief/test jarto take my SGmeasurements instead of just plopping the hydrometer into the primary. I'll probably continue to do it this way to make sure I am getting as accurate a reading as possible.

Matt

Back