Temperature Questions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flbama

Junior
Reaction score
My Sangiovese is currently sitting in the secondary in my basement where the temperature is around 67 degrees. Would I be better off moving it to another part of the room where the constant temp is about 73 degrees?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I also have a questionin regards to temperature once bottled.My parents don't use their home in the winter but leave the furnace on at a low temp. I can store my bottled wine in his basement were the temp will be a constant 60 degrees. Is that too cool for bottle aging wine.

for long term aging..you want 55-say about 62....57-58 is great

for your initail secondary, i would not hesitate keeping it at 65-70

I think for fermenting it really depends on the amount your fermenting and would be more concerned with internal temp and not room temp, Once the wine is done fermenting then room temp comes into more play, the more volume you have fermenting the more it will heat up making it harder to keep cool. Once its bottled 55* and stable is the best but stable is most important.

The 73 secondary temp while fermenting will make the yeasties happy and want to work quickly and efficiently.

Once your done fermenting and start aging that 60 will be just about perfect as well. The main thing is stability. You don't want 15 - 20 degree temp swings in the room each day. Slow creeps up or down makes a wine age well.

A lot of people would die to have a constant 60 degrees for their wines. Just make sure the humidity is not too high. Mold can be a problem with too much moisture.

Mike is right. Here in the mid-south we don't have basements, so my wine is stored in an internal hallway at a fairly stable 73F. If I had a basement I would wall off a corner with R-50 in the interior walls, ceiling, and halfway down the exterior walls. That would leave only the floor and lower half of the outside walls uninsulated. The net result would be a nice cool stable temperature.

Latest posts

Back