Temp to degass

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
<DIV id=post_message_979542>I've had my kit in the primary for 2 weeks. I haven't checked the gravity yet, but plan to in 2 days and rack and degass. The fermenter has been sitting at 64-67 degress the whole time. I heard that it should be warmer than that to get addequate co2 release. Should I put a brew belt on it for a few days and raise the temp before I degass or what?

Thanks

Welcome Wild Duk,

Not sure of the kit you have but from what I've gathered is you won't degass for awhile yet until it's stabilized in the secondary. I have had luck with that temp for primary, I try to keep it around 70*.

More help will be on the way from more knowledgeable persons

Good luck and enjoy

Its a Grand Cru 4 week Petite Sitah and the instructions say to rack to secondary, add the additives and degass that same day.

If it is done fermenting and been the allotted amount of time and instructions say to rack it now or to add the rest of the stuff like sulfite and sorbate nd fining agent then degassing is ready to go anf warmer temps will help you get the gas out better. 74* is a decent temp for degassing and if using a fining agent it is recommended to keep those temps until clearing is done.
Edited by: wade

Latest posts

Back