Tell me what to do

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningalive

Reaction score
I have 10 pounds of honey and a need to make something with it! I've never made a mead before.....tell me what I should do with it. I want a simple but good mead to make for a first timer. Thanks!

It's a big question (and lucky you for having 10lbs of honey to play with). What kind of mead do you think you'd enjoy drinking? My first mead was a light, sparkling (naturally carbonated) mead that turned out very much like white champagne. The recipe for that is in Charlie Papazian's book, "Microbrewed Adventures." There are good mead and melomel recipes in "Making Wild Wines and Meads" and in "The Complete Meadmaker." It really depends on what kind of mead you would like to drink though - there are a lot of possibilities. There is a similar thread going on right now on this forum under "Honey Mead Question" and you could also look through the mead section here for other recipe ideas. Or maybe ask what you think you'd like (dry, sweet, semi-sweet, fruit? spices?) and then maybe somone has a good recipe they've tried that would fit.

Also, a good, simple failsafe sweet mead is the "Ancient Orange Mead" recipe - you can find that via websearch.

I actually have never had a mead! lol. I just thought it would be fun to make. So I really have no frame of reference.

Gee give us a chance
smiley1.gif
. I was busy bottling!
You are going to need about 3 - 31/2 pounds of honey per gallon.
Now you need to decide how much and what you want to make. Since cranberries should be on sale and honey & cranberries go great together that would be my recommendation if you would like some fruit in your mead. With 10 lbs. of honey I would lean toward making 2 - 1 gallon batches especially if you want to back sweeten a bit.
You may want to look through the recipes posted on the forum that may help narrow down your search or at least give you some ideas. What kind of honey do you have?
VC

This is where everyone is going to have their favorites so maybe you could think a bit about what you tend to like drinking. Witha lighter, dry sparkling mead you could (if I remember correctly) make a five gallon batch of delicious, champagne-like stuff with 10lbs of honey. (note: bottling would be different because it's carbonated and you'd have to either bottle in beer bottles or in champagne bottles with corks)

You could also make a 3-gallon batch of spiced mead or applejack... or think about any fruit that you might like for a melomel...

</font>Here is the the recipe for Joe's Ancient Orange and Clove Mead. It is for 1 gallon but everyone says to make more if you can.</font></font>
Ancient Orange Cinnamon &amp; Clove
Mead
</font>

1 gallon batch </font>
<ul>[*] 3 1/2 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish
sweet)[*]1 Large orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)[*]1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)[*]1 stick of cinnamon[*]1 whole clove ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)[*]optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice )( very small )[*]1 teaspoon of Fleismanns bread yeast ( now don't get holy on me---
after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)[*]Balance water to one gallon[/list]

Process:
<blockquote>

Use a clean 1 gallon carboy

Dissolve honey in some warm water and put in carboy

Wash orange well to remove any pesticides and slice in eights --add
orange (you can push em through opening big boy -- rinds included -- its ok for
this mead -- take my word for it -- ignore the experts)

Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick, any optional ingredients and
fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water. ( need room for some foam -- you
can top off with more water after the first few day frenzy)

Shake the heck out of the jug with top on, of course. This is your
sophisticated aeration process.

When at room temperature in your kitchen. Put in 1 teaspoon of bread
yeast. ( No you don't have to rehydrate it first-- the ancients didn't even
have that word in their vocabulary-- just put it in and give it a gentle swirl
or not)( the yeast can fight for their own territory)

Install water airlock. Put in dark place. It will start working
immediately or in an hour. (Don't use grandma's bread yeast she bought years
before she passed away in the 90's)( Wait 3 hours before you panic or call me)
After major foaming stops in a few days add some water and then keep your hands
off of it. (Don't shake it! Don't mess with them yeastees! Let them alone
except its okay to open your cabinet to smell every once in a while.

Racking --- Don't you dare
additional feeding --- NO
NO
More stirring or shaking -- Your not listening, don't touch

After 2 months and maybe a few days it will slow down to a stop and
clear all by itself. (How about that) (You are not so important after all) Then
you can put a hose in with a small cloth filter on the end into the clear part
and syphon off the golden nectar. If you wait long enough even the oranges will
sink to the bottom but I never waitied that long. If it is clear it is ready.
You don't need a cold basement. It does better in a kitchen in the dark. (like
in a cabinet) likes a little heat (70-80). If it didn't work out... you screwed
up and didn't read my instructions (or used grandma's bread yeast she bought
years before she passed away) . If it didn't work out then take up another
hobby. Mead is not for you. It is too complicated.

If you were sucessful, which I am 99% certain you will be, then enjoy
your mead. When you get ready to make a different mead you will probably have
to unlearn some of these practices I have taught you, but hey--- This recipe
and procedure works with these ingredients so don't knock it. It was your first
mead. It was my tenth. Sometimes, even the experts can forget all they know and
make a good ancient mead. </blockquote>

Thanks for the input and thanks for being nice even though I was impatient! I'm more confused now than I was I think....I've never had a mead so I don't know what I want. Maybe a strawberry mead? I would like to do a 5 gallon batch if possable since I have a free 5 gallon carboy. The wife and I like both dry and sweeter wines but that's all I got for preference. I know.....not much help. ;)

I dont understand why you have threads open on this with many ideas on the other post! I would go with the Falls Bounty over the Ancient any day!

Sorry wade......I opened the other one first and someone said I should open it over here. But then people started responding to both threads! I will stay on the other one now since that one seems to be more active. Thanks!

Wade - my first batch of the Ancient Orange is ready to be bottled (yay!) but I haven't tasted it yet and I've never made the Fall's Bounty (although I have the recipe). Could you say why you prefer the Fall's Bounty? Always interested in people's tasting notes...

Thanks!

Well I substituted mine with wine yeast and that was just plain nasty IMO, so I thought it was just my fault until a few weeks ago when someone sent me the true version and it didnt taste much difference at all. I just dont think they blend well in my opinion.

Wade I think, from what I've read, the Ancient Orange is something you really like or not. And I'll be honest the thought of using bread yeast is not appealing to me, but it is a pretty good lesson for those learning how to patient making mead.
Brewgrrrl, just make the Fall's Bounty it is fantastic cyser. I am the first to admit that I am not fond of apple wines, but cysers I enjoy and this one is truly fantastic and easily adjustable to everyone's tastes. I still need to drive over to visit our local honey guy and pick up some honey so I can make a 3 gallon batch using pear juice to blend with my other one.
VC

Thanks, VC. I had actually NOT made the Fall's Bounty because one of my first wines was an apple-cherry cider wine that I made from fresh cider and cherry concentrate (fresh) from local suppliers. Sounds delicious, right? It turned out fine but Ididn't like it much- very smooth and apple-y but just not really my taste (which was surprising because I like apples). Perhaps I'll have to give that Fall's Bounty recipe a try after all.

I was reluctant to try the cyser, because I am not fond of cider and apple wine just tasted kinda .. blah, although I enjoy perry.
But the cyser, with the honey, muscavado sugar &amp; spices was really different, more like mulled warmed sweet cider without being warmed. My first batch I made 1 1/2 gallons and also made the same using pear juice the extra 1/2 of each got blended together after they cleared. While seperatly they are truly outstanding the blend is just at another level. Hubby is thinking about force carbing some of this next batch just to see the difference.
VC

BTW - a friend of mine force-carbonated some cyser that he had also back-sweetened with a bit of fresh cider and it was amazing.

Back