Tea Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenbean

Reaction score
How long should I let my tea wine age. I usually age a year, but I can't find everything from six months to a year for tea wine.

Chris

Chris,

Taste it at 6 months and see what you think. If you like itand think its ready, bottle it; otherwise, let it age longer.

It is my understanding that the strength of the caffeine affects the aging time.

Well I can tell you this. Don't taste it young I used my wine thief to sample and , good gravy is it funky tasting lol.

Chris

Interesting. I have recently finished a tea wine, and it tastes like jet-fuel.

But I recently filtered with a gravity filter (Harris Filters) and it's still cloudy.

Anybody got an idea?

Hhmmm......I don't really have any idea, did you use grape or other juice in it?

Of course, it matters because you might have a pectin haze from the fruit juice. So, if you used juice, did you also use pectic enzyme?

no, i didn't use any juice....

But I didn't use pectic either.... I didn't think I needed to.

Hmmmm.

Ok. If you only used tea and no fruit or juice, no need to use the enzyme, soI reckon we gotta really put our thinkin caps on now.

smiley2.gif

is your thinking cap on yet? This is really puzzling me.

Oh BTW, I cannot check for pH or SO2 or anything. All I have is my handy hydrometer. :)

Haha! Well, Since I don't like cream in my tea anyway, that shouldn't be a problem. I just wonder why it's not clearing.....

Is the tea a 1 gallon batch or 5? You might have to sit it out in the cold and give it some time, or try a fining.

It's a 5 galloner. I think I'm just impatient, but it really stunned me that my filter didn't do it's job to my liking. Oh well. The wine tastes like #(*&*^ anyway.
smiley9.gif

Med, I made a 1 gal batch and it has been cloudy for some time
but is beging to clear. Although I did use raisens for body. Also I
don't know it using fresh brewed or instant matters but I used fresh
brewed ( tetley brand).

Chris

Oh now Martina, be patient, my dear. Is there a chance it is still fermenting slowly and thus cloudy?

You said nothing of Chamomile before.

I would use gelatin and hope it carries some of the harsh tannin with it. If it does not taste particularly tannic, use bentonite, then isinglass, or use superkleer.

Latest posts

Back