Sage Wine ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terryfirma

Reaction score
I’ve been contemplating my Sage plant for wine .. I found a few recipes out in internet world.. I wondered if anyone here has tried it as a wine?. ( @BigDaveK ??) Thinking of making it the same as I have done with mint.
Wondering do I go sweet or dry/savory?. Straight or blended with a fruit?. A hint of Sage- or full-on Sage? Hmmm?
I need to make some tea and contemplate.:)
Does anyone have experience with Sage??

Addendum: Sage can have a toxicity in certain plant types or higher levels. I would not use massive amounts or drink large amounts - just FYI.. :} in case ya’ll were considering Sage wine!!!

OMG, I've been thinking about sage wine since last year! I can't seem to commit. I have 4-5 sage plants and my largest finally bloomed last year.

I have garlic, onion, and hot pepper cooking wines so I don't need another.

Personally I would do plain sage the first time to learn the flavor. I think my biggest obstacle, as you mentioned, is deciding on the quantity of sage.

I'll have to think about this....

@Terryfirma I found a couple more things for you to consider -
Leo Zanelli in Home Wine Making From A to Z thought it didn't make a good dedicated wine but was a good addition.
Terry Garey in The Joy of Home Wine Making thought it was good, 4-6 cups of sage.
And CJJ Berry didn't have an opinion but his recipe calls for 3 lbs of sage. (!!!!!!!)

@Terryfirma I found a couple more things for you to consider -
Leo Zanelli in Home Wine Making From A to Z thought it didn't make a good dedicated wine but was a good addition.
Terry Garey in The Joy of Home Wine Making thought it was good, 4-6 cups of sage.
And CJJ Berry didn't have an opinion but his recipe calls for 3 lbs of sage. (!!!!!!!)
3lbs!!??😱
Thank you for this research @BigDaveK !
I think it might be similar to my Hops wine- not something I’d wish to drink in quantity but mixes well with things..or a shot like a tonic:) Medicinally;)
A milder, sweeter version ( or a mead?) seems like a type I might prefer ? (Certainly not the strength of 3 pounds!! 😂)
I harvested some Sage today but it’s hot- and I’m contemplating- so I tossed it in the freezer. So many wines to be made- so little food!.😉

I think the combo of a sage apple wine could be delightful as well. Not an overpowering amount, but enough to add a layer of complexity that would be especially good around the holidays and cooler months.

Latest posts

Back