Tannin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi In The Pines

Reaction score
For my blueberry wine recipe, George's website, it calls for 1/2 pint of grape concentrate in place of the tannin powder. Is this grape concentrate something I can pick up at the grocery store, or is it special to winemaking stores? Also, with blueberry, is tannin necessary? If it is, can I add the powdered tannin during the 2nd ferm process?

You can use Welch's white grape concentrate. Be sure it only lists sulphite on the can and not sorbate. Definitely omit the grape tannin powder. The concentrate will not contain enough sulphite to matter, since you will be using sulphite in the must anyway. Just stir very well as normal when you get it all put together. If you are using more than 3-4 pounds of blueberries per gallon of finished wine, you won't need the concentrate. If you feel the wine needs more tannin after fermentation, bulk agewith some french oak cubes. Blueberries normally contain plenty of tannin in the skins. How big a batch are you planning? If 5 gallons, a double handful of oak chips in the must will serve you well.

smiley33.gif

I am making 2 1/2 gallons utilizing a 3 gallon carboy. I plan on using marbles to take up the rest of the space. My mix is 5lbs. of fruit. Now when you say add the Welch's concentrate. Do you mean add the pure concentrate out of the can?, or diluted with water, like whenmaking the juice?

Latest posts

Back