Tank vs. Carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwhelan939

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used one of these variable steel tanks? I like the idea of not having to worry about the size of the batch. Which is better? If you ferment it do you rack it or just leave it all togeather? Any info would be great. I cannot find a whole lot on the computer.

You want to rack it off the gross lees. Unless you are fermenting a few kits at a time or making a good size batch of wine from grapes a variable tank is overkill.

Jack what type of wine are you making- from kits or fruit or grapes? That might influence which you use. If you do kits, then get a regular pail fermenter or if you want more room, get a 10 gallon primary bucket(trash can type). If you do small gallon fruit batches, certainly just use a bucket. If however you are doing 1000 pounds of grapes, you will need much larger equipment and stainless would be a good option. Even if you ferment in the stainless, you still need to rack off the gross lees and later the fine lees.

I couldn't find the post, but I believe awhile back George was going to do a couple kits in one of these tanks. Maybe he can chime in on to how it all went.

I talked to george yesterday about it. He seemed to like the tank. His only gripe was that the spigot was too low to use for transfer.

The thing that I like is that its variable. So there is no worry about toping off. I generally do 10-12 gallon batches fresh juice. The downside is transferring it sounds more difficult. My minijet would probably help though. thank you all for your response.

10-12 gallon would make a v/tank worthy but now you are too much for the small 1 to do primary fermentation in and Im not crazy about the height of the next biggest size as its very tall. Wish they made 1 a little bigger widt wise without jumping to stepladder size.

If I figured it out right the small tank is 13.21 gallons. Jeff Cox recommends 20% clearence for fermentation. 20% of 13.21 is 2.642 gallons. So that minus 13.21 means that I could fit 10.652 gallons and still have the needed room for fermentation. With that said, the instructions on the tank say that you put the floating lid approx 1 inch about the must. If the lid is only 1 inch up would'nt that negate the 20% thing? I would also think that it would endup doing an airlock bubble through.

In your case with only 10-12 gallon batches, I would ferment in 20 gallon fermenters and then rack to glass. I use blue barrels that hold 20 gallons. Then you just rack to the size glass you need.

I transfer with a vacuum pump.

20081015_094243_100_4656_Medium.jpg

20081015_094431_100_4653_Medium.jpg

20081015_094551_100_4655_Medium.jpg

20081015_094828_100_4665_Medium.jpg

Thats a nice looking set up appleman.

Wade, you said you don't like the size of the 100L. I have seen two looking online. one is 40 inches high and the other is 24. Do you know what style george supplies?

Sorry Wade I answered my own question. The Toyshop sells the 24" one according to the website.

Anyone had success using Ozarka bottles as a secondary fermenter? And what size bung fits the thing?

Thanks!
Frank

Never used 1 and dont recommend using 1 for long periods of time. They will leach ot chemicals into your wine and give it a plastic taste.

appleman said:
In your case with only 10-12 gallon batches, I would ferment in 20 gallon fermenters and then rack to glass. I use blue barrels that hold 20 gallons. Then you just rack to the size glass you need.

I transfer with a vacuum pump.

20081015_094243_100_4656_Medium.jpg

20081015_094431_100_4653_Medium.jpg

20081015_094551_100_4655_Medium.jpg

20081015_094828_100_4665_Medium.jpg

Where did you find your barrels at? Also, what pump do you use?

Sorry for all the questions, But I can see your set-up working well in my <STRIKE>winery</STRIKE> basement!

I got the barrels on Ebay - Ontario Recyclers store. They have different sizes available. I don't see it there right now but they have a website-
www.ontariorecycling.com where you can contact them for pricing and negotiate the price.

I got the vacuum pump on Ebay also - it is a new medical aspirator pump. I got this style because it has a built in replaceable liquid trap and air filter. This was a NEW unit and works very well to transfer into carboys(glass). I also have a filter unit I place in line and can get very close to sterile filtration with it- meaning I can go to .5 micron, where .45 is considered sterile filtration.Edited by: appleman

Smikes,
Did you drill the 20 gal for an airlock?Are they decent quality? How do you know if they are safe for food? I cant find anything that says what they were previously used for. Do you think a spigot could be installed? Sorry for all the questions. just thinking out loud.

Jwhelan939 said:
Smikes,
Did you drill the 20 gal for an airlock?Are they decent quality? How do you know if they are safe for food? I cant find anything that says what they were previously used for. Do you think a spigot could be installed? Sorry for all the questions. just thinking out loud.

Yes I drilled and fitted airlocks on 2 of the three I have. They are listed with the stamp for foodsafe materials on the bottom. The ones I bought were used for ascorbic acid used by a beverage industry-not sure what others have been used for&gt; I know a couple gus locally that have bought the 50 gallon ones that had olives in them. Best to ask. I wouldn't want to risk a spigot myself- I would rather use a winethief or racking cane. I filled to just below the lip where the lid seals. The bung just touches the wine and the airlock worked for a bit after sealing.

appleman said:
I got the barrels on Ebay - Ontario Recyclers store. They have different sizes available. I don't see it there right now but they have a website-
www.ontariorecycling.com where you can contact them for pricing and negotiate the price.

I got the vacuum pump on Ebay also - it is a new medical aspirator pump. I got this style because it has a built in replaceable liquid trap and air filter. This was a NEW unit and works very well to transfer into carboys(glass). I also have a filter unit I place in line and can get very close to sterile filtration with it- meaning I can go to .5 micron, where .45 is considered sterile filtration.

What inline filter do you use with that vacuum? I am looking to get something like that suction unit. I have a friend that works a Durable Medical Company. He is watching out for a new unit for cheap for me. He might even be trying his hand at making wine. He is willing to loan one to me if I want.

Here is a link to a post I started last year on the pump.
http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5119&amp;KW=vacuum+pump&amp;PN=2

I need to update it for the filtering and bottle filler functions.

For the filter, I use a plastic water filter housing. The filters are paper ones for the course, medium and fine and the super fine ones are a different material. For regular filtering, don't go too fine. The finer you go the more expensive the filters. You can get several carboys out of each and if you are careful, you can clean between uses to extend the life of the filter. I don't remember just where I bought it all from, but I will check into it more when I get a chance.

The particular filter body and cartridges I got from Valley Vinter. Her is a link to the general idea of setup.
http://valleyvintner.com/Merchant2/VacInstructions.pdf

There are several diagrams and such showing possible setups.

Edited by: appleman

Latest posts

Back