HOW TO KEEP MUST HOSE FROM FLIPPING OUT OF TANK!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vouxwines

Owner - VOUX Wines
Reaction score
Heading into this years winemaking season I'm looking for a hook or some kind of hook like device that I can velcro my 2" must pump hose to and hang from the top lip of the tank to prevent it from flipping out of the tank and getting must everywhere. Has anyone seen a solution like this? Last year I just used long heavy duty zip ties and strapped the hose to my ladder and flopped the hose into the tank. Problem is I had to drop like 4' of the hose into the tank to give it the weight needed to stay in and when the tank begins filling the hose submerges. I like seeing the must fill and for sanitary reasons want to keep the hose out of the must. Something "U" shaped and rigid like a washer drain hose mount but larger for heavy 2" tri-clamp hose. Would help if it had a strap that secured it to the tank somehow as well. Using 500L Marchisio tank in this case. Any ideas or info on a product that exists like this would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure how to link…. If you Google “welding clamps” and you will find a variety of U-shaped vice-grip clamps. If you span one side if the U-shaped jaw with something… say some tight fitting rubber bands, you could then trap or zip tie the hose to that clamp jaw.

This will solve your problem: Tri-Clamp Elbow (90 Degree)

You'll want to add more hose or more stainless on the end so that it actually "hooks" over the edge of your tank. Like this: Tri-Clamp to Barbed Hose End
This could do the trick! Maybe two of them clamped together with a short hose attached on the portion hanging into the tank. Maybe also pad or wrap the connection with something to protect the tank…brilliant and thank you!

At first I was wondering why you would want to spend $90 on something like that. Even though I don't understand what you're doing. Then I realized that you have a commercial setup. Pay no attention to me. 😄

At first I was wondering why you would want to spend $90 on something like that. Even though I don't understand what you're doing. Then I realized that you have a commercial setup. Pay no attention to me. 😄
I’m processing 2-3 tons of fruit next week and generally the hose going from the destemmer to the tank gets heavy. If someone doesn’t hold it into the tank the pump will kick the hose back out of the tank when material is pushed through. So a device like this eliminates the human and allows the must to be pumped into the tank unsupervised.

I’m processing 2-3 tons of fruit next week and generally the hose going from the destemmer to the tank gets heavy. If someone doesn’t hold it into the tank the pump will kick the hose back out of the tank when material is pushed through. So a device like this eliminates the human and allows the must to be pumped into the tank unsupervised.
If it was me I would still rig up a clamp to hold the fitting to the top of the tank.

On a similar note, I built a custom Hydraulic dredge unit and the first time I started the pump the force pushed the hose from under the bungee cords holding it down… picture a 4” hose at maximum flow flailing around like a sidewalk-sale noodle-arm man while shooting a 4” stream of water 10 feet into the air 😂. It was only water so no harm done… I can only imagine the excitement if it were grape must!

Latest posts

Back