TA Test results

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
I just want to make sure that I am doing this right. Please let me know if I screwed it up
smiley36.gif

I tested my must on Carlos muscadine must yesterday. It took 4 ml of NaOH to make the sample stay the darker color. So to make sure I am understanding what I measured. I have 4 grams of acid per liter of must or that translates to 0.40 % of titratable acids in my 6 gallons of must. So in order to adjust it to 0.70 % I would need to add 1 tsp/gallon of acid blend to raise 0.15 %. being I have 6 gallons I would need 4 tbs to effectively raise the TA to 0.70 %

The result depends on the kit used and the concentration of the NaOH. A common kit conversion takes 10 ml of juice and have you add 3-4 drops of phenylthalene. You then add NaOH (.10N strength) until you get a permanent color change. In your case it would be 4 ml. You then multiply that by 0.75, which would give you a TA of 0.30. The important thing is to read and follow the directions exactly for the kit you used.

The NaOH was 0.2N, the formula was (75*4*.2)/15

So I am pretty sure I got it right.......... Just wanting confirmation that I am on the right track.

I would dissolve half of the calculated acid blend in some water, stir it well into the must, and test again. If that takes you to .55 ta then add the other half of the acid blend. It is easy to add more acid blend, but very hard to take it away.

Latest posts

Back