Synthetic Wine Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennK

Reaction score
Anyone here use them and where is the best place to purchase them?

I am a big fan of Nomcorc but I also add a bit of wax on the top for even a better seal as all my bottles are upright

Anyone here use them and where is the best place to purchase them?

Let me ask, Why synthetic?? I assume that you are currently using natural corks and want to go synthetic? What is the basis for your desire to switch?

I have to say that I am not a fan of synthetic corks. I have found that they are not better in the long run (oxidation), are difficult to remove, and are more expensive than natural cork.

JohnT

I respect your opinion, but have to say I like the nomacorcs. I have had no issues with oxidation using them ( I have had some wines go 5 years with minimal oxidation ) and I feel they are easier to remove than standard corks. I guess it boils down to trying them and decide whether a person likes them or not.

BOB

Let me ask, Why synthetic?? I assume that you are currently using natural corks and want to go synthetic? What is the basis for your desire to switch?

I have to say that I am not a fan of synthetic corks. I have found that they are not better in the long run (oxidation), are difficult to remove, and are more expensive than natural cork.

I just happen to read somewhere that they are less prone to contamination and for me, I don't store my wine for long periods of time. And I was watching a show on "how things are made" and this was one of the topics.

I just happen to read somewhere that they are less prone to contamination and for me, I don't store my wine for long periods of time. And I was watching a show on "how things are made" and this was one of the topics.

OK, and how many times has your wine been contaminated by a bad cork?

hmmmm.....they're not cheap!

I suppose "cheap" is a relative term.
1,000 are $188.46. I challenge you to find high quality natural cork for that price.

OK, and how many times has your wine been contaminated by a bad cork?

I've read stories about high variation between bottles with natural cork. The guy's problem was solved by using synthetic cork. The wine wasn't "ruined" by contamination, but its quality did suffer.

I've read stories about high variation between bottles with natural cork. The guy's problem was solved by using synthetic cork. The wine wasn't "ruined" by contamination, but its quality did suffer.

So, are we talking about TCA (or "corking" of the wine)? I seriously doubt he has this problem. This is why I am asking. If it turns out that he does have TCA, there are solutions that will treat this problem.

In any case, he does not mention that any of this has actually happened, just that he had read about it. I wanted to dig deeper and see if there was a specific problem he was experiencing.

Last edited:
Noma corks have their place. For white wines you're going to drink within three years they would be fine. If you plan on aging I prefer a good cork. I use 1+1 corks and only pay $0.12 a piece for them. I do have to purchase a thousand corks at a time.

I'm with Dan, I've been using the 1+1 corks and only pay $120 for 1000. with shipping from CA, they are still only around $.17 each... still cheaper than Nomacorks and they are Grade A quality..

I use Nomacorc Select Series 900 but only for the bottles that are intended to be gifted. Allows me to give the bottle without having to tell folks to keep it on its side should they not intend to drink it fairly soon.

BTW, at carolina wine supply they sell for $115.00/1000. I think eleven and a half cents per cork, not counting shipping, is reasonable.

I'm with Dan, I've been using the 1+1 corks and only pay $120 for 1000. with shipping from CA, they are still only around $.17 each... still cheaper than Nomacorks and they are Grade A quality..

and where is CA?

So, are we talking about TCA (or "corking" of the wine)? I seriously doubt he has this problem. This is why I am asking. If it turns out that he does have TCA, there are solutions that will treat this problem.

In any case, he does not mention that any of this has actually happened, just that he had read about it. I wanted to dig deeper and see if there was a specific problem he was experiencing.

No specific problems, just curious about the product.

and where is CA?

California is a state located on the West Coast of the United States. It is the most populous U.S. state,[12] home to one out of eight people who live in the U.S., with a total of 38 million people, and it is the third largest state by area (after Alaska and Texas). California is bordered by Oregon to the north, Nevada to the east, Arizona to the southeast, and the Mexican state of Baja California to the south.

Latest posts

Back