sweeten then bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
I just added sweetener {syrup] to a 6 gallon carboy. I plan to bottle in a day or two. My question is........ How long can I wait [after sweetening] to bottle? I usually bottle the day after I sweeten.

Jerry

I'll be back-sweetening a Meglioli Riesling in a week or two. I added the clarifiers 2 weeks ago, and will sweeten and bottle in about 2 more weeks. This is the first time I've ever back-sweetened - should I add the K-meta and sorbate and then wait before sweetening (how long?), or add them just before sweetening?Can I then bottle right away or should I wait (how long?)

Also, this kit came with the "CC Conditioner". I've heard good and bad things about it. Would you use it or just use simple syrup? Why?

You should be able to bottle after you're done sweetening and adding all your other stuff. When we make a kit, if we're going to back sweeten we use what came with the kit. But I think it's just a personal choice.

Typically you should give it a few days after sweetening before bottling to make sure it doesnt start to re-ferment which is rare but it does happen and if it does it will blow corks or bottles. I used conditioner once and dint care for it then but 1 1/2 years later it actually tastes good so maybe it was just a phase that the wine was going through.

I hope my sequence is correct. I usually, 1 rack 2 add k-met & sorbate 3 add super kleer 4 rack 5 sweeten 6 bottle. I usually wait a day or two after each procedure.

Looks good to me exept for waiting much longer after adding SuperKleer. I would wait about 2 weeks as it looks clear but more will drop if you wait longer and the lees will compact more and by doing that you will be able to extract more wine more easily with less chance of getting sediment transfer.

PWP, what does "back sweeten" mean? Reducing the sweetness in a wine?
What if I wanted to sweeten a wine a little more?
smiley10.gif

PWP, ok I just read previous posts. Back sweeten = sweeten a wine. lol
But, I don't know the process?? How would I go about it? What "sweetener" would I use?

If the wine comes with a flavor pack (F-pack) you would use that for sweetening. If you want to sweeten a wine that is normally dry, most use a simple syrup made from 2 parts sugar to 1 part water, heated on the stove to dissolve the sugar and then cooled.

UAV, the simple syrup like Peter says is most likely the best for sweetening a kit wine. If you make a fruit wine though, you can get extra juice either from the fruit and save it in the freezer till the wine is done fermenting and stabilized and add it then or you can just do what I do and buy a good juice when the wine is fermented and reduce it on the stove top in a pot simmering until it is about 1/3 the volume it used to be and let it cool down. What this does is keep all the flavor and sweetness of the juice but reduce the amount of juice you are adding to your wine so you dont dilute it too much.

Back