Super Bowl Wine or Beer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone who watched the Super Bowl had to drink or eat during the game yesterday. Most of us make wine, and you need to drink what you enjoy during your favorite activity. Others brew their own beer and may enjoy that more during a good game. I think it is safe to day that most of us were satisfied with the game yesterday even though some of us were dissapointed by the outcome. I think the challenges were a bit overdone but other than that both teams had their high points and low points.

So what did you have to eat and drink?

I was home yesterday for the game. I kept it simple. I just made a couple jumbo pizzas, hot wings and chips, dips and salsa. Nobody was hungry and the food was easy to grab and enjoy during the game. For wine (I don't have any beer currently made up) I decided a nice red would go with the food so I picked out a Winexpert Selection Australian Cabernet Shiraz. I think it was a good choice for the game - not a horribly expensive wine, but an extremely enjoyable one. This wine is about three years old now and continues to improve with age. It is really smooth now. The flavors continue to mature and express themselves very well.

What did you enjoy? And keep the football discussion neutral. We don't want to upset anyone.
smiley4.gif

Beer, cocktail weiners, cheese, crackers, shrimp, frozen pizza.

Not veryhealthy but something one must do
smiley4.gif

During the pregame show SWMBO decided we needed a tea party, so she whipped up a batch of scones that we had with lemon curd and plum jam. She had Irish Breakfast tea, and I had Uva Highlands.

Shortly before kickoff I made a batch of pigs-in -blankets that we ate with a WE Grenache-Mourvedre.

After that she drank Diet Rite cola and I drank bourbon.

Homebrewa Yuengling and Sierra Nevada clone. Of course wings with my own HOT SAUCE.

go Steelers !

I was at work during the kickoff, we had a pre-game party which had tamale dip (velveta melted over unwrapped tamales and mixed to a creamy consistency) , tostito, fried wings, and a salad (who the heck brought that one??) At home in time for the second half kickoff I cracked open a bottle of my Minute Maid Blue Pom. Not too bad, seems like its coming along, I think the next time I make it I will use a couple bananas or raisins or both. It was a great game. I was pulling for KW and the Cards, but I enjoyed the game nonetheless.

Nothing too fancy, but it was good enough for us.

Got home from work about 5 pm. The wife made a taco soup, really good stuff. Then topped it off with some Watermelon merlot and some Orange Muscat during the game. Wish Curt and my old team( from St.Louis) could have pulled it off, but they just did'nt have enough. Too many penalties!! Oh well, a heck of a game anyway!!!!!
smiley19.gif

Nothing. We Englishmen have something of a disdain for a sport called football where almost nobody uses their foot to touch the ball. Now, if you wanted to call the sport Kill, or Throw the ball to the guy making too much money or even short, uninteresting bits of sport in between really good commercials then I would begin to understand.

This goes along with other american sports where you have a world series without the rest of the world a National League that includes only half the nation, and an American League which represents the other half, teams that come from the east playing in the West Division and vice versa .
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif

So, I went to church and did choir practice and then went home and read a book.

But... When the World Cup rolls around (that's real football y'all) I'll be ready with my wine.
smiley16.gif

Go you Spurs! (Thats Tottenham Hotspurs, not San Antonio Spurs)</font></font>

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

We had fantastichome made pizza but no home made booze. I had one glass of wine, a Santa Margarita Pinot Gris which the wife is hung up on now. Guess I need to make her some Pinot. That stuff is like $25.00 a bottle. I drank mostly Boddingtons Pub Ale as I have (gasp) no homebrew on tap right now. I have quite a bit of bottled Homebrew and commercial)beer I need to drink up before the new brew system gets here. I know I am gonna go hog wild with it.

peterCooper said:
Nothing. We Englishmen have something of a disdain for a sport called football where almost nobody uses their foot to touch the ball. Now, if you wanted to call the sport Kill, or Throw the ball to the guy making too much money or even short, uninteresting bits of sport in between really good commercials then I would begin to understand.

This goes along with other american sports where you have a world series without the rest of the world a National League that includes only half the nation, and an American League which represents the other half, teams that come from the east playing in the West Division and vice versa .
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif

So, I went to church and did choir practice and then went home and read a book.

But... When the World Cup rolls around (that's real football y'all) I'll be ready with my wine.
smiley16.gif

Go you Spurs! (Thats Tottenham Hotspurs, not San Antonio Spurs)

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Too funny. I do have to agree with you on most points. I don't know why they call it football. And I don't know why the World Series doesn't have teams from around the world. I am a huge baseball fan and love it when I can see international play. We now have the MLB Network on our cable system. I am going to be able to watch quite a few International games such as the World Baseball Classic and the games the US teams play in the spring in Japan.

smurfe said:
We had fantastichome made pizza but no home made booze. I had one glass of wine, a Santa Margarita Pinot Gris which the wife is hung up on now. Guess I need to make her some Pinot. That stuff is like $25.00 a bottle. I drank mostly Boddingtons Pub Ale as I have (gasp) no homebrew on tap right now. I have quite a bit of bottled Homebrew and commercial)beer I need to drink up before the new brew system gets here. I know I am gonna go hog wild with it.

Tell me more about your NEW SYSTEM.
smiley20.gif

appleman said:

HOW DID I MISS THIS POST ??? GREAT SYSTEM !
I just use either a 15 or 28gal ss pot for my boil.

That makes me drool....
When are you gonna invite us to help you Drink all that brew?

I hope you keg now that you have this. I do and it makes it so easy. I converted a small side by side so I can get 2 cornies and 2 taps thru the door

Yeah, I normally do keg. I just got the urge to bottle the last few batches. Bottling is a pain though. Got 8 new kegs and am switching from Pin Lock to Ball Lock.

Fridge.jpg

Fridge1.jpg

Here is the new system being built.

Sabco.jpg

Here is an assortment of what we use now.

NewMashTun.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

Your old setup is simular to mine. Even thou I have some converted kegs I still use my ss pots as in my last post.

Hmm... 3 taps thru your door I just may have to add another.
When i'm in full swing homebrewing I usually make either a 10 or 20 gallon batch at once ( nice having big pots). I never filled all my kegs but, I came close thou.
Oh ..I have 23 cornies.

Smurfe is working on getting all the toys for brewing. We are all jealous. When I need a brewing fix I go visit my nephew at work. Here is his little brew setup.

20071226_113524_100_3529_Medium.JPG

And his kegs
20071226_114420_100_3533_Medium.JPG

And if he is bottling(these are good)
20071226_115046_100_3539_Medium.JPG

The advantage smurfe has is that he either has or soon will have all his toys and gets to do it all himself with his brewing buddy!

And, are you his buddy? If he lived closer to the Philly area I would like to be his buddy... LOL !
smiley36.gif

Nice "little setup" I seeit in Lake Placid

Peter,ummmmmm........you DO realize you are in the USA, right?

Glad you enjoyed your English day and did the church thing, the choir thing and the book thing.

I am sure when the World Cup rolls around NASCAR will be in full swing!!!!
VROOM VROOM......turn left!!!!!!!
smiley36.gif

Appleman, chipotle chicken wings, honey soy sauce wings and winterfest beer with orange slices.

AZ should have won, but I was happy it was a great game. Commericals??? Not so much....
smiley5.gif

tepe said:
And, are you his buddy? If he lived closer to the Philly area I would like to be his buddy... LOL !
smiley36.gif

Nice "little setup" I seeit in Lake Placid

The brewery is actually in Plattsburgh and just a few mile from home(Lake placid is 50 miles away). He split with his old girlfriend and now lives at home with his mom (my sister) next to me. I can get bottled rejects often (labels coming off or whatever). They have expanded and have marketing agreements through a couple distributors and are semi-nationwide now. I don't worry about the marketing- just the beer.

He does most of the brewing there. He started out like smurfe, while he was in college. He and a friend used to do homebrews, keg it and they would end up on campuses for consumption!

Latest posts

Back