Stront wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frjen

Reaction score
In febuary we made tree types of wine, potatoe wine, one with light syrup and one eith dark syrup. And the last one from local root plants and white sugar.

Made a few mistakes along the way, so now I have a very strong alcololic and bitter taste.

Alcohol level is approxomatley. 20%

The wine was bottled yesterday. So I'm hooping it will get better.

Will maturing help ?

The flavor will change over time, but the only way to reduce the alcoholic taste is by blending your wine with a low alcohol wine. You can do this by making the same recipe with less sugar and later blending the two.

What makes you so sure the ABV is close to 20%? It is possible, but not something that I would expect to happen with wines that are made mostly from sugar and water.

I have tested the wine with both an hydrometer and vinometer, both tests show 20% +
I was shooting for 14%, but I believe the liquid was to warm when we made the initial measurements.

If the wine is finished, you can't use that number alone. You need starting sg, ending sg, and then you can figure out the abv. And that vino meter ain't worth a crap if there is any residual sugar left in the wine. Vino meter is only for dry wine.

I first calculated % with starting sg and final sg and got 20% +
Then just to be sure I used the vinometer.

Same resault

Assuming your calculations are correct, have you backsweetened it at all? This may help take away some of the "bitter" and mellow it out a bit.

For some reason something here does not seem to all be order.

What is the point of the post?

Are you wanting some kind of advice? If so more information is needed.

Are you trying to show off a high ABV wine? If so, more information is also needed.

Ie, give us the yeast strain that you used and the starting and final gravity. What kind of additives did you use? Without more information, it is really hard to comment on the post.

I just wanted to know hon much of an improvement, aging the wine will help.
Is it worth the wait or not.

I have 50 liters, of a pretty strong and bad tasting wine.

Sucks if I have to trow it away.

I just wanted to know hon much of an improvement, aging the wine will help.
Is it worth the wait or not.

I have 50 liters, of a pretty strong and bad tasting wine.

Sucks if I have to trow it away.

Take some out, say .25liter, add some sugar to it, and see if that helps the taste at all.
If so, which it will if it is good, then you can backsweeten the whole batch accordingly.

The wine has aged a bit now and is tasting pretty good. It's got a bit og a kick, but a smooth taste

Latest posts

Back