Strawberry Kiwifruit Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThousandJulys

Wino Extrordinaire
Reaction score
What type of yeast would be best for a three gallon batch of Strawberry-Kiwi wine? The recipe I have for Kiwi says Pasteur Champagne, although half of the fruit will be Strawberries. I am using 11 pounds of fruit, about one pound of extra fruit per gallon to get really good flavor. I have all the Red Star and Lalvin varieties. Thanks in advance!

I used the Lalvin 71B 1122 for my strawberry - Lalvin D-47, Red Star Cote Des Blanc or Champagne might also do well.

I was just looking at the Lalvin 71B-1122. What do they mean by Sensory Effect: "esters"? The other strains say either "enhances varietal character" or "neutral." It does seem like the best choice for the fruits I'm using, thanks for the recommendation. :sm

the lalvin 71B will actually metabolize the malic acid that is present in the fruit.

Not sure what is meant by sensory effects - possibly aromas that are given off.

I made that from fresh fruit last year. I used Cote des Blancs. I find that best for fruit wines. Now thats not to say you can't use others ;-) :h

So many choices and variables...

I used six pounds of peeled green kiwis, and five pounds of frozen strawberries for three gallons. Sound about right?

I loved the Kiwi wine I made a couple years ago, and I had some fantastic strawberry-kiwi wine from Lynfred Winery here in Illinois. I just hope it turns out as good, or better!

Cote des Blancs it is, then! Anyone know the alcohol tolerance for that one (Red Star brand.) And what do esters smell like? Sorry, just curious what that means. Lalvin says one of their yeasts produces an ester smell.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back