Strawberry Blonde

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahRides

Reaction score
So I'm planning on making a Strawberry Belgian Blonde this week. I'm going to add macerated strawberries after fermentation. I'm using a Belgian Blonde recipe of my brother's creation, but he's never added fruit, so he wasn't much help there. Has anyone ever made this? How many pounds of strawberries should I use? I've seen on different recipes with amounts varying from four to ten pounds.

I guess that would depend on how strong a flavor you want from the fruit. Iver never done strawberries, only apricots and used 6 lbs per 5 1/2 gallons. I think that came out perfect in an Apricot wheat/pale ale. IMO and many others it tastes better then both Magic Hat #9 and Ithaca.

I want it to be obvious that there is strawberry there, but not overwhelming either. Obviously since I'm adding it after fermentation, it's probably going to start re-refermenting again with the addition of the strawberries too (depending on the alcohol tolerance of the yeast). Originally I was planning on using a Belgian Blonde yeast, but the guy at the homebrew store talked me into using a Belgian Abby Yeast (which I'll have to research a little more to find out what conditions I should be fermenting under, etc.) So how many strawberries I add will also affect the ABV. So where I want the strawberry flavor I also don't want to add so many strawberries that it brings up the ABV too much.

One of the first ales I did was an apricot wheat......from a kit. I loved it! I might do another one for the summer if I have any empty kegs left. :)

Since taste is subjective, the ammount will vary with people.
I would recomend starting with 2 to 4 lbs. and see where that goes. It may even involve doing a second batch to be able to adjust the flavor to your liking.
Another option is to go with just a pound or two and add some natural flavoring just before bottleing. Its something we sell in a 4oz bottle, it recomends up to 4oz for a 5 gal batch, but I would think that is with no other fruit added, so an ounce or so just to bring up the flavor. It is natural flavoring so its not like adding something fake. This will also keep your ABV lower.
As for your yeast, is it Wyeast or Whitelabs they gave you? or some other brand ( am guessing it is a liquid yeast).

I made a blonde ale last year and added 6lbs. of strawberries. Turned it a lite shade of pink and had a fantastic strawberry nose with a light lingering strawberry tastenot overpowering at all. Most from the homebrewtalk.com website added 8lbs. of berries and complained it was too tart. Again like everyone says it is a matter of personal taste.

I did 3 gallons with 6lb it was pretty good. Tested it wine the Nelson Savan Hop. I know the spelling is off.

Latest posts

Back