Straight juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIXTO

Reaction score
This week I am heading to Philadelphia to the Italian market to pick up some juice. Never did this before but you pick the wine you want and they crush the grapes in front of you and you take the juice home and make wine. Has anyone ever did anything like this. These grapes are straight from California and is expensive

that does sound pretty cool, if you can take some pics for all of us to see.

Where in Philly, im headign there next summer and if its close ill stop by the market.Edited by: Scubaman2151

When I lived in Houston in the 80's I was a member of a winemaking and beer brewing club. Each season the club picked a varietal for the year, each member decided how much they wanted, and we had it shipped from CA in ~8 gal pails as grapes in a refrigerated trucks. 1984 was Zinfandel - my only real grape wine ever. Collectively we bought about 5 tons of grapes.

When the shipment arrived several of the club members got together and ran them through the club's crusher/stemmer and back into the pails. From there they went into the refrigerator of the store the club was headquartered at, and on Saturday everyone came to pick up their allotment. I bought 1 pail, which yielded 5 gal of wine.

The store had a number of small presses available for rent for those of us not so equipped. Having only done 1 gal batches of fruit wine prior to this, pressing 5 gallons of grapes after primary fermentation was an all day affair for me.

We moved to Memphis right after Christmas that year (job change), while the Zin was in bulk aging. I kept it bulk aging until early summer, when I bottled it. In the fall of '85 I entered it in the Mid-South Fair. Grapes got no respect there. There was a single category for grape wines, and about 15 for fruit wines, so I was up against all grape wines.

I won a red for my Zin. I heard later that the blue went to a really awesome white.

Latest posts

Back