Storage of Extra Yeast.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I purchased a brick of BM 4X4 yeast and am splitting it with someone else. We are fermenting frozen grapes from Italy called Vino Superiore, but my friend will not be using this yeast for another month or two. I already made my starter lasty night and obviously opened the brick. How do I preserve it for 2 months?

I've had yeast in the fridge last forever, keep it really well sealed, as I've heard moisture from the fridge can get in and cause damage if its not.

The freezer would probably be the dryest place, but do you have a problem with viability after it is thawed for use?

I have had no problems with yeast taking off again after freezing the slurry to make skeeter pee. Was in the freezer for less than a month, tho. Arne.

I have always keep mine in th frindge, and had no problems. Infact I am going to start a batch soon with some yest that almost been in there a year.

Since we are on the subject of the fridge, I was wondering if there was anything in the wine arsenal of additives that we should NOT put in the fridge?

Latest posts

Back