Stopping fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zog

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an experimental gallon batch of cider ice wine in the works. It is currently fermenting vigorously. The plan was to stop fermentation at 13 Brix. I had thought I could do this by adding potassium sorbate, but I didn't do my research until now. Seems that sorbate will not help at all in terms of stopping an active fermentation (rookie mistake). Will I be able to stop it with a combination of sulfites and cold temperature? Any suggestions about how to do that? Any other ideas? The yeast is Cote des Blancs.

Fermenting to dry and then resweetening is not an option. Alcohol level would be way too high (starting Brix was 33). And I want the sweetness to come from the natural fruit.

I also read that you can remove the yeast by filtering, but I don't own a wine filter. I could order one, but at the rate the wine is fermenting, I doubt it would come in time.

Thanks

About all you can do is to dose it with sulfite and chill it to below freezing temps (32 or so-not freezing the wine). It may not work as well as you hope and this is not a reliable method, but it is only a gallon so give it a shot.

Depends on how quick you want to stun the yeast.

Possibly a little more - and chill it quickly like Rich said.

The filter you are referring to are pretty pricey - the absolute filter itself runs close to $100.

The buon vino filter will not remove the yeast out...

50-75 ppm sulfite will do it and not be too excessive. Remember you can take a known amount of sulfite in some water (like a cup) and then put in the amount of the sulfite solution (tablespoon or whatever) needed to bring it to that level.

Remember you can take a known amount of sulfite in some water (like a cup) and then put in the amount of the sulfite solution (tablespoon or whatever) needed to bring it to that level.

Not sure I follow this. In fact, I'm sure I don't follow it.

Yeah creating a sulphite solution then just adding that to the wine.

If you make it a strong enough solution with water - you might only need to add a tablespoon.

Zog said:
I have an experimental gallon batch of cider ice wine in the works. It is currently fermenting vigorously. The plan was to stop fermentation at 13 Brix. I had thought I could do this by adding potassium sorbate, but I didn't do my research until now. Seems that sorbate will not help at all in terms of stopping an active fermentation (rookie mistake). Will I be able to stop it with a combination of sulfites and cold temperature? Any suggestions about how to do that? Any other ideas? The yeast is Cote des Blancs.

Fermenting to dry and then resweetening is not an option. Alcohol level would be way too high (starting Brix was 33). And I want the sweetness to come from the natural fruit.

I also read that you can remove the yeast by filtering, but I don't own a wine filter. I could order one, but at the rate the wine is fermenting, I doubt it would come in time.

Thanks

33 brix?? cotes de Blanc yeast will give you about 14% yeast. So the yeast will die off anyways leaving you with residual sweetness.

Yeah creating a sulphite solution then just adding that to the wine.

If you make it a strong enough solution with water - you might only need to add a tablespoon.

Okay, haven't done it, but I know how to make a 10% solution. But when I look at some online SO2 calculators about how much I need to add to one gallon to bring it up to 65 ppm, the results are so small, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

As best as I can tell from my Accuvin test from a couple days ago is that the wine has about 18 to 20 ppm now. Using a SO2 calculator, it tells me to add 0.01 ounces or .34 gram of powder to bring it up to 65 ppm... or 0.1 fluid ounce. Does that sound right? Measuring those small quantities is another issue.

33 brix?? cotes de Blanc yeast will give you about 14% yeast. So the yeast will die off anyways leaving you with residual sweetness.

This is a good point. I guess it would end up around 14% alcohol and 9% residual sugar. Not a total loss, but not the 11% alcohol/13% sugar ice wine I was shooting for.

Last edited:
Be aware that by not sterile filtering this it xan and usually does start fermenting at a later date in the bottle as you have no way of knowing if youve actually exceeded the yeasts limit.

There are those other issues that have been brought up, but let me explain a really easy way of making the solution I speak of.

1/4 teaspoon of sulfite per 6 gallons of wine will give you about the amount you need to be in range- but you only have 1 gallon. Like you say without a gram scale it is hard to get the amount you need. How else can we get that small amount of 1/6 of a 1/4 teaspoon? Easy- take a 500 cc beaker or measuring cup (or what you have) and put 300 ml water in it. Now take 1/4 teaspoon of sulfite and stir that into that 300 ml of water. You only need 1/6 that amount so carefully pour 50 ml of water/sulfite solution into you wine. That gives you that small amount of sulfite you need in a pretty accurate amount. You can do what you want with the rest of it either keeping it or just dump- not a big loss.

Sorry if I was confusing - I assumed incorrectly everybody knows this little trick as it is talked about quite often.

Be aware that by not sterile filtering this it xan and usually does start fermenting at a later date in the bottle as you have no way of knowing if youve actually exceeded the yeasts limit.

I wouldn't mind getting a filter. Buon Vino makes sterile level filter pads for their mini system, but someone earlier said that it wouldn't really work.

Wouldn't sorbate inhibit any refermentation?

Don't trust the accuvin being right. I don't understand why there is even any in the fermenting wine anyway. You want to go to 70 ppm. To stop fermentation. Chill it first to 32-35. It will be dead in the wine. But as was said, you could just let the yeast run it's coarse. The alcohol will kill it at somewhere around 14-16%.

Last edited:
Don't trust the accuvin being right. I don't understand why there is even any in the fermenting wine anyway. You want to go to 70 ppm. To stop fermentation. Chill it first to 32-35. It will be dead in the wine. But as was said, you could just let the yeast run it's coarse. The alcohol will kill it at somewhere around 14-16%.

I had added about 1/16th of a teaspoon to the cider a day or two before I added the yeast in order to suppress the wild yeast.

Back