Staghorn Sumac wine

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by gunwolf, Aug 18, 2010.

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. gunwolf

gunwolf Member

although I have not completed this batch yet...here you go...

Staghorn Sumac wine(3 gal)
    15lbs. of fresh picked sumac "berries" or approx. 50 to 60 staghorn berry clusters
    9lbs of sugar
    3 1/2 gallons of water (I use spring water)
    2 teaspoons of yeast nutrient(fermaid)
    1/8th teaspoon of K-meta
    1 1/2 tablespoons of pectic enzyme.
    3 over ripe bananas
    1 packet of lalvin rc212 yeast.

I start by collecting berry clusters in late July or early August.
    I do not wash the berry clusters!!! this will take away most of the sugars which collect on tiny hairs on the outside of the berry. I carefully slide my hand down each "stalk" to remove the clusters of berries. it's OK to leave a few stems.
    I then look through the pile and discard any immature berries. Make sure also there are no insects in your berries. I place these in a nylon straining bag and set them aside.

I then add two gallons of water to my primary bucket, along with the sugar,K-meta,Nutrient,and pectic enzyme. stir until sugar is almost dissolved.
    cut up the bananas in large chunks and add to saucepan...add just enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 min. then strain and add the banana water to the must.

I then add the bag of berries and the rest of the water. I squeeze the bag several times while getting it wet to release some of the juice. cover the bucket and let it sit for 24 hours.then I check the SG and adjust with sugar/water to get desired SG I started at 1.095

stir everything up again and pitch yeast. cover with top that has a airlock and let ferment for two weeks. I then rack into a 3gal carboy ...then the waiting begins.

2. Mud

Mud Unfunny

Can you liken the taste of sumac to anything else?

3. BobF

BobF Banned

Which Sumac? Smooth, Fragrant, Poison, or some other variety?

4. gunwolf

gunwolf Member

Staghorn Sumac has a lemonade (tart) flavor...*I have read that the tartness comes from the amount of tannin

Staghorn sumac is a variety like smooth. it grows in cone shaped berry clusters. but the tiny hairs on the stems and berries give it it's name.

5. Mud

Mud Unfunny

I'm going to try this. Lots of sumac around here. Should be easy enough to get some.

6. Woodbee

Woodbee Senior Member

Thank you
    Gunwolf

7. closetwine

closetwine Advanced Idiot

Can we get an update on this one? I have tons of sumac around here and love the flaver, never thought of making wine with it though. I'd love to know how this is turning out!

8. bowman64

bowman64 Junior Member

sounds great,i will most certainly give this a try..thanks for sharing..john

9. saramc

saramc FeRmEnTaTiOn FaNaTiC

Getting ready to make this soon. I have had a large brown grocery sackful of staghorn sumac clusters stashed in the freezer and today I sat down with a fork and started to "fork" the berries off of the stem(s). Fork works wonders. I had cleaned 35 clusters with a yield of one very packed one gallon bag and I have at least 20 more clusters to "fork". Looking forward to getting this one going.

10. Mellow Mama

Mellow Mama Junior

Wondering if anyone has made sumac wine the ol' country fruit style by using just sumac berries, (or the juice), sugar, water and yeast.