Stablizing Strawberry wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunt

Reaction score
Hey hey I have 3 gallons of strawberry wine ready to go into secondary and was wondering if it should be stablized seeing as I am not planning on adding any sugar later on. I do however want to add some sparkolloid to help it clear and hopefully avoid any pectic haze.

My recipe was
12 Lbs freshly frozen then thawed Strawberries.
Water to 3 gallons
6 LBS sugar (SG to 1.090)
5 tsp of Fermax yeast nutrient (3 upfront, 2 more once SG reached 1.050)
1 1/2 stp yeast energizer.
1 Pk of EC1118 yeast

Boiled the strawberries for about to min before adding them into a mesh bag and placing them into the fermenter for the duration of fermentation. Gave it a good mix twice a day.

Even with the SG down to .095 there is still a bit of sweetness to it and thats how i want it to stay.

What do you guys think? Should it be stablized? and what about the sparkolloid powder? Good idea or not?

I stabilized my Strawberry wine when the SG was 1.005 and added sparkolloid (liquid) to it a week later. It turned out really nice

Did you back sweeten other than leaving it with a little sugar left un fermented

Adding k meta and potassium sorbate to prevent accidental fermentation

I added grape concentrate one week in and inverted sugar 10 days later. No back-sweetening later. I have to say it is easy one of THEE best fruit wines I have ever made. Plum comes in second and feijoa 3rd. If you give me your email I will send you the recipe I actually followed (few flaws in there :), but they did not seem to affect the wine).

You do not need to add sorbate unless you are backsweetening, adding an f-pack, or have residual sugar. If you haven't added meta, you need to. Sorbate cannot be added until the wine has been racked off the bulk of the yeast cells. Free SO2 is dependent on PH so if you don't know the PH, the free SO2 should be 40-50 PPM.

Sounds as if you may have maxed out yeast so you wouldn't need to add sorbate in that case. To be safe you would need to bulk age for at least 6 months (yes I do this) I can taste sorbate as a few other can so I avoid it

Latest posts

Back