Spring Has Sprung!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should have been like this a month ago....It had snowed here a bit yesterday while we were gone...then I think it rained.

What's going on?????

This just isn't right!!!!!

smiley1.gif
We finally lucked out! We haven't had snow for a week
smiley32.gif

Well folks, just the opposite weather down here. The nights are still cool, but with 95 degree days the pool water finally warmed up to a chilly 69.
smiley3.gif

Gina and I couldn't help ourselves and took a dip yesterday after working in the yard all morning. After the first two minutes we were numb enough to enjoy it...lol.
smiley16.gif

Most of the northern visitors have migrated back so the streets are practically empty. I can actually drive faster than 35 mph (in a 55 zone) on the way to work now...lol.
smiley36.gif

Winds are out of the south. Hang on. The warm weather is on its way up!
smiley20.gif

Here's a few pics and warm thoughts from Southern Arizona.

20080511_181244_IMG_1687_Small.JPG

20080511_181415_IMG_1688_Small.JPG

20080511_181547_IMG_1690_Small.JPG

Here's my new grape vines. Experimenting with table grapes just to get a feel for the vines. These are manuka, supposedly one of the few varieties that will tolerate the hot weather. We'll see.....

20080511_182131_IMG_1689_Small.JPG

Beautiful landscaping job....Well done and am sure it is a nice retreat for you....Looks wonderful to us Northerners....Enjoy it before the heat gets there.

Send a little heat up our way.....thanks for sharing.

Where is the global warming ?? We had a cold rain most of the day yesterday 38 degrees this morning and frost warnings tonight. The apple trees are budding but it has to warm up for the bees to do their job.

Thanks NW. Ten months ago the back yard was just sand. And with the constant winds, it all seemed towind up in the pool. We moved in during late July last year at the height of summer. It was so hot, we could hardly breath. The winter has been pleasant, but I'm not looking forward to the next several months. Although we do seem to have adjusted to the heat somewhat. We moved here from San Diego last year, and our daughter still lives there. Last week we drove back to the coast for a visit and almost froze! Edited by: K&GB

K&GB,

You have a beautiful home there. You must love to spend time at your pool. What type of vegetation, trees, cacti, etc. grows in your part of the country?

Ramona

Ramona,

Thanks. We do enjoy the pool, but we were surprised by the "short" swimming season in such a hot location. I think it must be due to the cool desert nights. I've never had a pool before, so I didn't know what to expect, but the water dropped from 82 to 72 last September, and that was it for us. Now it's back up to 70, and we're still waiting for it to warm up a bit more. I'm sure it'll be great come June-July time frame (when the days are 110 degrees.)

We've had to learn by trial and error what grows well here. Good thing Lowes has a one-year plant warranty...lol. We've bought most everything they sell that says "full sun". But most of it died. We've found that oleanders,red hibiscus, and lantana do well. Most palms don't, but the canary island date palms seem to being thriving. We have a jacaranda tree planted in the front yard and burmuda grass. But we've probably planted 50-75 plants that later died and had to be dug up. Of course we have a few yuccas and agave planted in the back. We also have a small succulent bed in the corner, but I'm not much into cactus. I was spoiled by 3 years in Hawaii followed by 6 years in San Diego.

Edited by: K&GB

K&GB.....You will eventually find out what will grow.....Kind of look in the neighbors back yards and see what is there for a year or two. Imagine all that rock and gravel will be pretty hot and the fence will hold the heat...so, your pool will be the best place to be.
Is there a Pergola by the table...looks like a plant is on a post....any shade cloth will be welcome...tho imagine you will mostly be out there in the evenings.

Wish we had a little heat up here....Yesterday was very nice...sunny and warm....great for planting.

I set out some Elderberry and June Berry plants for the 'Wine-Effort'...then finally dove into the veggie garden....Planted some potatoes, onions, kohlrabi, carrots, chard, etc.....So feel we have made some progress towards spring.

I had chosen May for my month for the Garden Club to come, tomorrow is the day...The agenda was to dig and divide perennials...The way the weather has been I decided to dig/divide then pot or bag them up for everybody over the past week...So I did get my beds renovated and everyone can just take the pots and bags of what ever they want....hopefully the weatherman is wrong about the rain tomorrow....There are still more strawberry plants and a few young trees some ladies might want to dig....So...we might still get our hands dirty......

Today I tackled cleaning the house....
smiley7.gif
What a thankless job. It does look better ...I work best under pressure...Have most of the food prepared....So should be a fun day with the ladies.

Spring is in the air!

What a beautiful job you have done with your yard. Would a solar cover keep your water temp warmer or does the cost of 1 in that shape not warrant getting 1?

Shhhhhhh Wade! Gina keeps bugging me about a solar cover...lol. In retrospect, it would have been nice. Maybe we'll get one in the fall to extend the swimming season. But first the Med Cruise (July for26th anniversary), then my daughter's wedding (August). If I have a few dollars left (doubt it), I'll think about a solar cover. But fall is wine kit season too!
smiley19.gif

NW, I'm so jealous that you can grow such a variety of berries. Your post about aronia berries was intriguing. I wish you a very fruit-full growing season, and I can't wait to hear about the wines you make from your harvest.

With all the talk about black currant wine, I had to make my own batch, so I ordered a can of VH from George, and made 4 gallons. Added a bottle of WE red grape concentrate to the recipe. Hopefully this will turn out good. Secondary fermentation is done; I'll probably rack it off the lees this weekend. I've also ordered some oak spirals, but I'm not sure yet if I want to oak it.

As Appleman predicted, my original 1-gal strawberry batch began to drop sediment not long after I bottled it.
smiley11.gif
So I decided to try again. While in San Diego last week I bought a big bunch of the ripest, reddist strawberries I've ever seen and started another, larger batch of wine this time. Ended up with just over 4 gallons and 1.090 SG. Overshot my mark a bit, but with the intense color and strawberry aroma, I may be able to dilute the wine a bit. I used Montrachet yeast, and it fermented like wildfire. It's now in secondary. Oh, I also included some golden raisins in hope of increased body. We'll see how it turns out. I've committed to being patient this time...lol.

I don't know where the Marines will move me next, but hopefully somewhere I can grow wine grapes. Three to five years here, and we'll see. Meanwhile, I'm learning to grow things. I used to think I would retire and finda job with a defense contractor, but I'm finding that I'm happiest when I'm digging in the dirt.

NW,

Actually, mornings are my time to go out back, just before the sun comes up when it's nice and cool.I'm a morning person. Besides, the back yard gets the western sun and is pretty hoton summerevenings. Last summer Ienjoyed goingformy morning run and then jumping in the pool. That's a covered patiowith the hanging plant in the picture.I'd sweep the pool as the sun came up and then have a cup of coffee on the patio before work.

Funny how little time we spent outdoors this past winter. Gina started a new job as a nursing educator, andI took on my new assignment atMarineAviation Weapons and Tactics Squadron One (MAWTS-1). It's a nice break from deployments to Iraq, but the weather here is strikingly similar. Our son returned from his first Iraq deployment in March, andGina and I both breathed a huge sigh of relief. He's stationed at Camp Lejune in NC, and we're looking forward to seeing him, his wife, and our grandson at our daughter's wedding in San Diego in August.

Sounds like you move around a lot......Hope you enjoy your time where you are now and get to use your pool and watch your plantings grow.

You'll like your Black Currant wine....keep us Posted on it's progress.

Hopefully someday you can grow your own.

FLYING FLOWERS....</font>
Picture083Small.jpg
Picture064Small.jpg
Picture045Small-1.jpg
Picture076Small.jpg
Picture060Small-1.jpg

</font></font>
IT CAN'T GET MUCH BETTER THAT THIS...

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!</font>

</font>

</font></font></font>

You have to be living in the best part of Minnesota. We are finally getting some buds on the trees. It sure is nice to see such wonderful pictures.

Latest posts

Back