Spring Has Sprung!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PWP.....Your Iris' are way ahead of ours....I moved our miniature purple ones this year....so no flowers....the big ones are budding, but no where near as open as yours.

Our Lilacs are still tight little buds...and apples are starting to bloom, but not as many flowers as last year...Think they played themselves out last year. Plums are blooming....but no bees today here either....kind of humid and gloomy...hope we get some more rain....It really did make a huge difference to everything...

I do have some pretty roses tho....
HOPESmall.jpg
CAREFREESmall.jpg
BLUSHSmall.jpg

Treated myself and picked up 3 pots of them in bloom when we were in the city yesterday....
smiley4.gif
Had to replace some that didn't winter over....

Even the shrubs look better after the rain......
COLORSSmall.jpg

Peonies are budding....
FERNSmall.jpg

The wild things are happy too...
SSEALSmall.jpg

But, mostly the crops and farmers are blessed from the life giving rain....
CORNSmall2.jpg

Yes, Spring has finally come to the far Northern Plains.

Edited by: Northern Winos

lookin' good northern

maybe one day we will see it for ourselves - - -

take care

rrawhide

20080530_151825_100_4246_Small.jpg

PWP, You have spring at last !!! Your flowers are beautiful.
NW, I know you must really love this time of year. You have so much to "take in " everyday.

My other rose bush, the coral one, is budding and about to bloom. Just wondering....As the rose bush gets bigger and more mature, does the flower become larger too? The flowers are small little over 2inches in diameter but very pretty. Maybe it is the variety. Supposed to be a prolific bloomer.
just been in the ground 2 weeks now.

As Always, it's great to see everyone's pictures............RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

I'm also resurrecting my epiphytes from the hard time they were having on the apartment balcony, now they are happy in the trees and the breeze and the sun. I hope I can see a couple of blooms on them this year.
20080530_160242_100_4250_Small.jpg
Edited by: rgecaprock

PolishWineP said:
The rain we got yesterday did us a world of good. Thought it was time to take some of my own pictures.
Iris opened yesterday
20080530_122950_Iris.jpg

20080530_123304_Iris2.jpg

There is nothing like the smell of lilacs to say, "It's spring!"
20080530_123616_Lilac.jpg

And then there's always the hope I get from apple blossoms. Last year there were only a few apples on this tree. It tends to give apples every other year, so I hope to have plenty this year. Now, where are the bees?
20080530_123849_Apples.jpg

WOW! I knew it has been cold there this year PWP and NW and all, but you guys are almost three weeks behind here this year! Last year you were ahead of us. Here is a pivture from May 13 with the apples in bloom for a few days already. Hope it stays warm there for you , and I hope we get some rain tonight and tomorrow.
20080514_044008_100_3874_Small.jpg

We are about 3 weeks late on all the fruit trees and natural things.....going to be a short season this year.

Ramona, how often do you have to water those pots???? Your rose might have larger blooms as the bush matures...think your roses will grow 365 days a year..here we are lucky to have 6 months growth on any perennial plant.

Good things take time.....

So it goes.

NW,

Watering these plantsis very tricky. Their natural habitat is high up in the branches of trees in the jungle where they anchor their roots in the leaf mold and soilthat collects in the crooks and crannies of the branches. They put out air roots too and get moisture and nutrients from the air too. The soil mix has to be very light and fast draining.

I have lost alot of plants to over watering. They will rot very easily with too much moisture. Some of my cuttings have rooted then started rotting near the soil line so I really back off the water until almost dry. I'm going to let the rain do the watering unless we get a very dry spell and if we get too many days of rain then I will have to move them under shelter. They do like to be lightly misted.

The flower blooms are so rewarding and worth waiting for. If you remember the one I posted a couple years ago.
20080530_192753_100_2346_Small.jpg

20080530_193106_100_2375_Small_.jpg

Oh, Curtis just reminded me the coral rose is Acapulco...something.Edited by: rgecaprock

wow romona

i have never seen a tree like yours - different color blooms everywhere!! love it. do you have any cuttings for this tree? hummmmmmmmmmmmm!!
very patriotic red - white - blue with a couple of brown thrown in!!!

lookin' good

rrawhide

Edited by: rrawhide

It's going to be fun, watching your new place grow and bloom Ramona. Now, lets see some of them carboya a blooming !!!

rawhide, the tree that the pots are hanging in from what I looked up on the internet is an ornamental tree called a purple plum. I think the blooms come on before the leaves and it doesn't produce fruit...but it looks nice and it's perfect to hang my pots in.
And Waldo...you are so right....I have really been behind on my wine, I have 3 carboys full that need bottled but every weekend I have had something going on here. Maybe some rainy weekend when no one is around I'll get busy with it.

Ramona

Northern Winos said:
Looks like some rain headed across the Big Lakes this morning....

Ended up we got .88" last night...it was a nice gentle rain and perhaps some showers this morning, tonight and tomorrow. Glad it came easy like that....sometimes if we get a heavy rain after planting it might wash gullies down the hills or make the soil get a crust then the soybeans have problems pushing up.

This morning you can see the corn rows to the ends of the fields...Life is Good!

It took a couple days to get here, but thank you NW for the nice gentle showers. We are approaching 3/4 inch of rain so far with rain showers continuing and then Thunderstorms(EEEEEEEKKKKKK... run and hide- for those that don't know, my place has been struck by lightning 3 times in the last two years- and me twice!) this afternoon. That is as much as we have had all this last month! The crops will certainly appreciate it!

We also had only ¾" of rain up to this past shower...so it was plenty dry here too.

They are saying showers this PM...I am busy setting out the tomatoes and pepper plants....taking a wee break now....
smiley4.gif

Woke up to the rattle of The Cowboy out in the Cowboy Campfire Cafe preparing breakfast.....

breakfastSmall.jpg

Then, I installed the rest of the veggie plants out in the garden....about 3 weks late on some of them....Not much to look at out there.

veggiesSmall.jpg

The berries are blooming and the garlic is growing like crazy....

berriesSmall.jpg

The flowers are starting to make a show...

bloominSmall.jpg

The Ornamental Crabapples are in their prime....too bad the fruit isn't edible...

beautySmall.jpg
whiteSmall.jpg

Won't be as many apples as other years...not many flowers on most of the trees....must have been our long late coming spring and all the late cold weather.

I was bummed yesterday....could hear thunder and huge clouds were passing only an arm reach away....then a girlfriend sent photos of the hail piled up in their yard .....then, I hoped the next round of storms would also pass us by...they did...Don't need any hail like that.

So we get it all while we can.....and enjoy it to the max.

Life is Good!!!

As quickly as it finally arrived spring seems to be slipping by......

Mr. & Mrs. Robin are busy feeding their brood...
feedingSmall.jpg

Lilacs have finally bloomed 4 weeks later than average....
finallySmall.jpg

The yard is looking good, but anxiously awaiting the summer flowers...
leftWinCE.jpg
rightWinCE.jpg

Flowers are coming...and some are fading already...
bhSmall.jpg

But...the wild things....still move me....

babyyellowSmall.jpg

I came home after a hard day and found this pretty little one in my flower pot. Couldn't resist snapping a picture.....Ramona

20080604_200859_framed_dragon_S.jpg

And a pretty rose.
20080604_202612_framed_rose_Sma.jpg
Edited by: rgecaprock

Latest posts

Back