Spring Has Sprung!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flying Flowers is right. I didn't realize birds came in those colors. You sure you didn't paint them?
smiley36.gif
Thanks for the pics.

NW,
I bet Birds and Blooms would love your pictures!!!!!! Such a pleasure to see what you are posting next!!!!

Ramona

Most of our birds winter in the South during the winter months...During the winter months some of them loose their bright colors, then, come spring they develop their 'Nuptial Plumage' [breeding colors].

As well the younger birds and females do not have the bright colors...So, many folks who live in the Southern part of the country never get to see the summer colors of many mature male songbirds.

The Scarlet Tanagers will be along soon, they like the male Indigo Buntings and Goldfinches just knock your eyes out with their bright seasonal colors.

So...one of the few perks of living in the North...we get to see the Nuptial Plumage of the breeding songbirds.
smiley4.gif

Excellent photos!
NW - Looks like we got the same birds!
We've had all the birds you show on my feeder too .... including the Scarlet Tanagers.
I first saw him last week, so he should be up by you soon.
There is also a good variety of wood peckers that visit here.
The Harry, Downy, and Red-belliedwoodpeckers are common visitors.
We have had a Red-headed woodpecker a few times, but he is shy.
The Pileated has been around, but not this year yet, they are a wierd bird!
The Indigo Bunting, Nut Hatches ( two varieties ), Goldfinch, Purple Finch, House Finch, Oriole, Cardinal, Blue Jay, and more.

My Favorite .... The male Rose-breasted Grosbeak .... Beautiful bird! .... I love to watchhim fly.
When they fly, they remind me ofa stripe-painted propellor on a WWII fighter plane. ( That probably made no sence if you haven't seen one fly )

Nice pics! Thanks!

We rarely see Cardinals, they are a rare treat.

The woodpeckers you mentioned are here year around...think we have too many of them, they are working over the Mountain Ash trees pretty bad....now they are doing their mating thing...pecking on anything loud...including the machinery that is parked in the yard...that really rattles, kind of startling when they start. The Pleated one are usually around, but we leave 'Habitat' [dead] Trees for them to work over out in the woods.

Here are the latest beauties....

besthummerSmall.jpg

redbreastplusSmall.jpg

Moma Robin right outside the door....the crows won't get these eggs this year...
bestrobinSmall.jpg

Last nights moon...
Picture002Small.jpg

The season of wonder continues...

Ok guys - everything sure looks wonderful and fresh and beautiful but we here in California have already had our spring and heading into summer. (getting hot) However, here's a picture that was taken this spring just east of Bakersfield, Ca. Someone has titled this Gods Paintbrush - for your viewing pleasure:
20080522_215109_rr1.jpg

This is the way our hills look around here most springs - but it only lasts for a couple of weeks - depending on the weather.

rrawhide

I bought a couple of rose bushes and planted them last weekend. Buds already and the first one bloomed today. Purple Princess. And I finally caught the bloom on my Epiphyllum guatamalese, night blooming. Lots of plans but will take time but will eventually have a nice garden. I've been hanging my Epiphyllums in the trees today and hopefully they will do will in the dappled sun and breezes.
smiley27.gif

20080524_142645_100_4185_Small.jpg

20080524_143052_100_4167_Small.jpg

20080524_143324_100_4168_Small.jpg

20080524_143547_100_4169_Small.jpg

Hi Romona

Beautiful flowers and the pictures are awsome. Question: how do you get large pictures like these? My picture above is 149mg - trying to stay under the 150 like George requires. Would like to have larger pictures too~~

thanx
rrawhide

If you use the Microsoft picture resizer, it will make normal sized pictures a more compressed file size, but keep the quality. Most pictures can be sized to 800x600 and stay under the limit.

Beautiful flowers....Glad you are enjoying your land and new home.

Keep those photos coming..... as well as your progress in and out of the house.....i.e. winemaking area.

Thank you all, I just use one of the picture resizers....sorry have to go look and see which one. I just take it for granted. I've had the resizer for a while and don't even know which one it is.

NW, I love how you call it my land......it's the suburbs and it is mine but I picture land like yours. I am a long way from making mine as beautiful as yours and Ilove absorbing what your do and admire what you do. And will learn from what you do!!!

I love your pictures of the birds....I have only seen White Winged doves, Mocking Birds and a Cardinal in the morning. and a flock of Cedar Waxwings. I did see a Heron of some type on my fence one evening...there are alot of bayous here so she must have been stopping by for a rest on the fence.

My kitty is bringing in snakes and night crawlers....and is so proud...she annouces in such high volume she wakes me up. She is bringing me a gift!!!

Ramona

Edited by: rgecaprock

rrawhide said:
My picture above is 149mg - trying to stay under the 150 like George requires.

Looks to me like your pic is 10575 bytes. ( 10.575 KB ) Your pics can be 150 KB.
smiley4.gif

20080525_052947_Flowerhills.jpg

Finally, spring is bringing forth the pretty things that we have been waiting for....
primroseSmall.jpg

grapeSmall-1.jpg
pinkandwhiteSmall.jpg
whtwhtSmall.jpg

The perennial flower bed is coming to life....

perennSmall.jpg

And the Wild Things...Move me....

Yellow Violets...
yellowvioletsSmall.jpg

Purple Violets...
violetsSmall.jpg

Trillium...
trilliumSmall.jpg

Prairie Smoke...
priariesmokeSmall.jpg

Field of Prairie Smoke...
closerfieldSmall.jpg

Life is Good!!!

Edited by: Northern Winos

"It's raining...
It's pouring....
The old man is snoring..."

A perfect rain....started while we were gone today...have about ¾" already and the best is yet to come.

All the crops will love it...the corn is up, the wheat will be happy and the soybeans were pushing dirt....

Now wish I would have set out my tomatoes, peppers and melon plants.

Send some of that rain over here NW! We have onlyhad .75 inches this month altogether at my place. It is BONE dry. I went out and tilled some weeds this evening and had to take a shower when I came in. A complete coating of dust was to be had. My nose had about a half bushel of topsoil in it! I'm glad you got a good rain, you guys have been in need of it for a few years now. How are the grapes doing? Are the buds sending some good shoots out yet? I hope you get a bumper crop of grapes and fruits this year. I can think of no-one who deserves one more.

Looks like some rain headed across the Big Lakes this morning....

Ended up we got .88" last night...it was a nice gentle rain and perhaps some showers this morning, tonight and tomorrow. Glad it came easy like that....sometimes if we get a heavy rain after planting it might wash gullies down the hills or make the soil get a crust then the soybeans have problems pushing up.

This morning you can see the corn rows to the ends of the fields...Life is Good!

The rain we got yesterday did us a world of good. Thought it was time to take some of my own pictures.
Iris opened yesterday
20080530_122950_Iris.jpg

20080530_123304_Iris2.jpg

There is nothing like the smell of lilacs to say, "It's spring!"
20080530_123616_Lilac.jpg

And then there's always the hope I get from apple blossoms. Last year there were only a few apples on this tree. It tends to give apples every other year, so I hope to have plenty this year. Now, where are the bees?
20080530_123849_Apples.jpg

Back