Spring Has Sprung!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have had a week plusof awesome weather...mid to high 70's during the day and 40-50 at night! It is getting dry so hoping for some rain shortly.

Planted lettuce and onions in the garden last night and plans are being made for a new garden in a better spot than the old one for tomatoes and hot peppers.

Grant said:
It is just not fair,

We have had about 10" of snow since last Friday. When I left the house this morning it was -18 C (0 F). It is suppose to warm up by Sunday. Can't even think about getting out in the garden, can't find it, lol.

Grant....I have been wondering about you and how you were doing this winter....I talk to relatives in Edmonton and area and they said the winter had a brutal spell...she said -58*C...had to look that up..-50*F...that truely is brutal.

Hope your spring arrives soon and bursts forth quickly and lasts long...It will come.

Had our first big thunder storm last night...it was great...Only got a little over 1/2 inch of rain, but it is better than nothing...which is what we usually get. More to come....but the temps are going to drop.

Things I did learn.....Did get up to check the radar....found out that DSL won't come in when the clouds are very heavy, just like the satellite TV...Live and learn....

Going to enjoy a rain day.
storm.gif

Ole Cletus had lost his wife and just as the funeral was over at the gravesite there was a huge flash of lightning bolted across the sky and a horrendous clap of thunder following. Cletus turned to the pastor and said, "Well, she's there !! "

Waldo....Baaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Meanwhile...back at the ranch....Had a dreary rain day...thought we'd get to bottle a batch of "Saturday Night Special" Sparkling Apple Wine..... Got the bottles washed, sanitized and rinsed....Then...... a quick trip to pick up a few John Deere parts lead to a goose chase to two dealerships...I did score a good deal on sugar and came home with 5-10# bags.

The robins are helping clean up the yard.....

builderSmall.jpg

Strong NW winds combined with blowing drizzle is not very spring-like.

Life is still good tho.

A sign of spring...actually loading the planter for the last 100 acres of sugar beets...

20080508_170110_Planting_001.jpg

You get to play with the big toys Bert. Looks like fun! Are those crawler tracs on the JD? That is one BIGGGG field- and flat to boot! Thank you Bert for all the hard work you do to help feed htis country! I for one appreciate it and you!

How do you do the sugar beets...are there "cuttings" of them, similiar to potatoes or are they from seed?
All the beets we ever planted in our garden, growing up on the farm was from seeds.
I will "ditto" applemans sentiments also.

Yes Appleman they are all rubber tracks and it is pretty flat here and to the west to the Red River...about 1 to 2 ft. of drop per mile...now we baby sit these beets until harvest..

In this neck of the woods......Got to have Sugar Beets to have sugar for Wine...we love you Bert!!
smiley27.gif

Meanwhile back at the ranch.....We are getting in our meager crops planted and enjoying every minute of it.

20080508_195451_100_4012_Small.jpg
20080508_194832_100_4011_Small.jpg

I had a flock of Cedar Waxwings drop by last weekend and they were out in the tree again when I got home from work. They "cheep" almost like baby birds. They are so pretty. Hope they stay around!!!Edited by: rgecaprock

And once again, we're being teased.
20080510_090542_may_10_002.jpg

This was the view out the front window this morning.
smiley19.gif
It's mostly melted, but it's not what we expect this time of year!

I call that a "Poor Man's Fertilizer" Nothing like a quick little snowfall as things green up to get things going. Maybe the grasses and trees think that winter is coming back soon, so they better hury up and grow so they can set seed before winter!

I hope it's gone by now. What a bummer!

I'm hoping it helps to green things, but I don't think there was much moisture there. Maybe we'll get some rain one of these days!

OMG, I can't believe you are still getting snow and no leaves yet. It is 90 degrees today. Don't worry. Things will be green soon.

20080510_152059_100_4057_Small.jpg

20080510_152632_100_4058_Small.jpg

We are BBQing tonight using some of AAA Stinkie's rub and Hot Maple BBQ sauce on some ribs. Edited by: rgecaprock

So how are you having fat free barbequed ribs Ramona? Stay away from the fat now- you don't want the pain!

It really was a nice day today. After working in the vineyard and doing yardwork all day, I decided to just sit out on the deck and enjoy the nice weather- Sunny and 70ish and have a nice glass of Blueberry Pinot Noir. I added a splash of Cranberry/Raspberry to it and it made a nice sipping wine for relaxing. The weather was great, no bugs to speak of , plenty of sunshine and good drinks- like NW says Life is Good!

Richard,
I'm not planning on eating any. I've only had a banana today and have had some pain, not much. I don't want to chance it. I might taste but that is it. I will sip some wine though.

You must be enjoying the 70's. It is actually very sultry here this evening.

Ramona

I just don't want you to be in pain like my sweetheart was for so long!

It was really a great day and I enjoyed it immensely. We had some barbequed chicken on the grill and some pasta salad for dinner. I'm baking a cake for Cindy this evening for Mother's Day. The boy's will cook her dinner tomorrow, but I thought some cake and ice cream would be good for a treat. I just wish I could make as nice of cakes as PWP does for everyone's birthdays.

Get better soon so you can fully enjoy the new home.

Latest posts

Back