Specific Gravity Range

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayseedjim

Reaction score
I just made a 5 gal. batch of blackberry wine from frozen berries that we picked this last summer. I don't see that I can get an accurate SG reading at this time due to all the berries being in the way. I am going to let it ferment for 6 days and then rack to a carboy and top up with water. What should my SG range be at this point?
I also want to add some oak chips at this time. I don't want too heavy an oak taste. About how much oak, 1/4 cup or so?

You really need to get an accurate reading right from the beginning, draw out a sample into a test vial such as the tube the hydrometer came in or a wine thief.You need to get this done now before it starts fermenting and the batch will unknown and we wont be really able to help you nor will you know what to do.

Thanks, I think I went brain dead for a bit. I just tossed the yeast about a 1/2 hour ago. I'll go siphon some out and take a reading. My SG is 1126. This seems high. That is why I am trying to find the acceptable range. Again, thanks.
Jim

How much sugar did you addto the fresh berries? I am thinking that the sugar may not be fully dissolved in the must.

I used 20 lbs. blackberries, 10 and 1/2 lbs. sugar. I heated up water almost to boiling and dissolved the sugar completely and added it to the fermentor.
I have the berries in the six gallon fermentor as well. After 5-7 days I will remove the berries ( they are in a strainer bag ) and top up with around two to three gallons of water or whatever is needed to bring the level to the six gallon mark on the fermentor. This is why I am not sure what to bring the SG to. The berries in the fermentor take up a lot of room thus leaving the small amount of water and juice to a high ratio of sugar making for a high reading. Is there another way that I should be going about this?
Thanks.
Jim

Pull the berries out for a minute and check the sg ten put them back. You really should split this batch into 2 buckets and get a bigger fermenter for next time. You do need to know what the sg is before this starts fermenting as if its too high the yeast wont even work.

good morning people,well my scents is not to top off with water if possible first i would taste the density of the fruit flavor before i would do that unless your using concentrates?

Is this a 6 gallon fermenter- as in a beer bucket? Or is it a 7.9 gallon fermenter that you make a typical 5-6 gallon batch in? If the latter, I would squeeze the bag with the berries in it enough to get much of the juice out, set the bag asice in a pan while you work. Next bring the level up to 6 gallons, stir well and take a SG reading. That will give you a fairly accurate reading. Adjust the sugar up to 1.085 if necessary, but you are probably good. Then you can try to add the berries back in and see if the level is OK or if you need to split between two buckets.

Good grief you people-- all I asked for were two very simple questions--
1. What is the SG range for fruit wines?
2. How much added oak chips to a 5 gallon carboy to make for a very light oak flavoring?
Save me from the dramatics!!!!!!!
Jim

SG range at that point could be anything as different yeasts and different temps can make a wine ferment in a week or take 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oak is also a matter of taste but 2 ounces is the norm and check it frequently cause everyone's tastes are different. Please be a little more nice as we are just trying to help you!

TJim on my fruit wines I shoot for around a 1.085 starting SG, around 12% abv. Lower than on a kit or grape wine to allow the fruit flavors to be more pronounced. Higher and it would take much moreaging time for it to balance out good.As to oak, a couple ounces usually does the trick, just taste it along the way, leaving it inuntil you have the desired amount in your wine, but note that it will fade with aging, so maybe go until it seems a bit strong to you, knowing it will mellow with age.

TJim said:
1. What is the SG range for fruit wines?
2. How much added oak chips to a 5 gallon carboy to make for a very light oak flavoring?

1. Starting SG- 1.075 - 1.090- depending on fruit used

2. 1-3 ounces of oak.

Tim, sorry about the sg info I wrote as I assumed that since this was started a week ago you meant at this point in the fermentation!
smiley24.gif

wade said:
Tim, sorry about the sg info I wrote as I assumed that since this was started a week ago you meant at this point in the fermentation!
smiley24.gif

Don't appologize Wade you did answer his original question of the sg at racking!

I re-read my post and see now that it did indicate that I wanted the SG at racking time. My bad. Thanks for all the help though.
Jim
smiley5.gif

Back