Sparkling Strawberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greydog

Reaction score
Last spring the Grandkids were selling flats of strawberries for Band Boosters and Football Boosters. I bought several flats and made strawberry wine using parts of two or three recipes I found on the net.
The wine turned out great and was really good after only a couple months so most of it was consumed last summer.
I opened the last one yesterday and the cork "popped" like a champagne bottle!! When I poured it in the glass it fizzed up similar to beer. I checked the bottle but there was no sediment in the bottom and the wine was crystal clear. I know I was fortunate that I didn't wind up with bottle bombs but in the same breath I wish I had made some notes because although I made a mistake it made some EXCELLENT sparkling wine!!

Lol I have the same thing going on with my first batch of wine ever 9 months later I have sparkling pear with no silt but I did not use stabilizer and topes up with fresh pear juice so I no my problem now that over got a little more experience lol

As I remember, the wine went to 1.000 and stayed there for several days. I figured fermentation was complete so I degassed, stabilized and cleared. I back sweetened with simple syrup and bottled it about 14 days after clearing. Must have been just a few active yeast cells left that the sorbate didn't render sterile??

I am planning to do a sparkling strawberry this year which I will keg carbonate and put in champagne bottles. Be careful about doing this in normal wine bottles because they typically aren't built to withstand much pressure.

Update.....Learned today that one bottle did in fact pop its cork and spew wine all over my girlfriend's sister's fridge.....but one out of thirty ain't too bad considering the potential for disaster!!

Update.....Learned today that one bottle did in fact pop its cork and spew wine all over my girlfriend's sister's fridge.....but one out of thirty ain't too bad considering the potential for disaster!!

LOL, bet you were not the most popular person at her house when she looked in her fridge. Arne.

Latest posts

Back