WineXpert Spanish Rose - Primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyportale

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my 5th WE kit I've started and I'm having my first primary fermenting issue. If it is an issue?
It has been 5 days and I have had only tiny bubbles rippling along the surface of the juice, no real large bubbling. I have had good bubbling coming out of the air lock. The lid is sealed not just sitting on the bucket. The temp is around 74 deg. I have not taken a new reading yet.

Should I be concerned?
Should I do something different?

Thank you,
Tony

You need to take a reading, sounds like it is fermenting and as long as it is fermenting you don't need to worry

Tony, during primary fermentation, I have found that the wine needs a little bit of O2 to get the yeast cooking. I suggest that you loosen the top, give the wine a good stir and just let the lid lie on top of the fermenter. Have you taken an SG reading recently? What was the initial reading?

Hello,
This is my 5th WE kit I've started and I'm having my first primary fermenting issue. If it is an issue?
It has been 5 days and I have had only tiny bubbles rippling along the surface of the juice, no real large bubbling. I have had good bubbling coming out of the air lock. The lid is sealed not just sitting on the bucket. The temp is around 74 deg. I have not taken a new reading yet.

Should I be concerned?
Should I do something different?

Thank you,
Tony

I started 4 wines on the same day. One (pinot Grigio) showed little activity for the first 4 days but when i checked them all with the hydometer, it was the furthest ahead.

So you never can be sure with whats happening without monitoring with your hydrometer

Tony, during primary fermentation, I have found that the wine needs a little bit of O2 to get the yeast cooking. I suggest that you loosen the top, give the wine a good stir and just let the lid lie on top of the fermenter. Have you taken an SG reading recently? What was the initial reading?

My initial reading was just over 1.20. I just checked it and it is at 1.00. The kit instructions say to rack into a carboy when I'm below 1.10. This seams high? Should I wait a few more days to get it below 1.00

My initial reading was just over 1.20. I just checked it and it is at 1.00. The kit instructions say to rack into a carboy when I'm below 1.10. This seams high? Should I wait a few more days to get it below 1.00

Check your SG numbers here, Tony. I don't think your initial reading was over 1.20. Did you mean 1.12 (which is still very high)? Generally these kits start out between 1.080-1.100 and one ferments in primay to about SG 1.020 or less.

Back