SP wont start

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've started away from it because I've heard it is difficult to clear and it's difficult to extract much flavor from the fruit. There are strawberry extracts that can be added before bottling. I've have success with that.

It was real close to 1.050 so I added the rest of the ingredients. It is ok to leave in the Fermentor till it goes dry? Then put in the carboy to clear.

That's what I would do. I find it takes longer to ferment to dry if you rack it before it finishes.

10 campden tablets equal 1 level teaspoon.

I'm super happy with it. It cleared within 2 days. I racked backsweetened it on Sunday and I plan to bottle it this weekend.

Racked and ingredients added now waiting to clear.
SP is notoriously difficult to clear. It will require a lot of patience. I used dualfine on mine and it barely made a dent. After a week I added super kleer and pectic enzyme and it improved slightly. I think this weekend, if I don't see any more progress, I will add bentonite and wait it out.

I hope it clears with sparkloid I used because that all I have for clearing agent. I checked the sg this morning it was .994 so I got everything ready and racked it.

I hope it clears with sparkloid I used because that all I have for clearing agent. I checked the sg this morning it was .994 so I got everything ready and racked it.
It will clear. It may take a while (up to 6 months?), but it will clear.

Make sure you get the gas out of it and keep it in the mid 70's or so. Shouldn't take long to clear then. Arne.

I mixed it a good while after I added all the ingredients, how long would you mix it for and how you know if all the gas is out?

I mixed it a good while after I added all the ingredients, how long would you mix it for and how you know if all the gas is out?
That really depends on how hard you stir. Did you get a lot of bubbles rising to the top like a head on beer?

Back