SP wont start

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, please Google "Jack Keller yeast starter". He explains the theory and process in much more detail. It's worth the read.

Well I seen three bubbles all yesterday but I didn’t sit and watch it, I seen them just as walking by. Either it is trying to start or it is real slow. What should I do wait, add something, or start a new starter? Hate to start all over again but I will. But as this morning no bubbles that I see.

I would pitch another sachet of yeast. Your first one may have been bad.

Take another SG reading first. If it hasn't changed, pitch more yeast.

Well we have bubbles I timed it 20 a min. So finally it is going, I guess that is pretty good.

She is working right along doing good, going to check the sg this afternoon. I’m hoping it will be father along so I can add the other half of the ingredients.

It has been fermenting vigorously since I pitched the yeast. In fact, I actually had a slightly messy blowout.
It started at SG 1.075 on Thursday night and this morning it was as 1.014 and the airlock is still dancing like a hippy at a commune.

Also, I just used dangerdave's recipe that you can find on here. Yesterday I started a cherry lime variation on dragon blood.

It must dancing crazy then. I’m thinking some kind of strawberry for my next run. But can’t wait for this one to finish to try it. What caused the blowout?

The blowout was caused by very active fermentation and get little headspace. There is less than 2 inches of room the wine and the lid. The pressure built up to the point that the lid couldn't contain it.

I understand that strawberry can be problematic. Have you tried it before?

Naw this is my very first run of anything. I just like strawberry’s but if it is trouble I might try something else first.

Back