WineXpert Sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterCooper

Reaction score
Is anyone skipping the addition of sorbate in kit wines? One of the constant factors I am coming across is that all my reds (in particular) are sweeter than a commercial dry red. I presume that the sorbate is adding to that.

If fermentation is really complete, is there any reason to add the sorbate as a stabilizer? What would be the effect of not adding it?

Edited by: peterCooper

peter,

I just follow the direction provided with the kits. I haven't made many reds ( as they take aging time more so than then whites). Are you saying that the reds are notfermenting dry enough? Do you think they can continue to finish out dryer? There are different degrees of dryness. How dry are you looking for.....Texas Dust Bowl? I like only like dry reds, oaky, tannic...it would be interesting to see if other who like (dry-smurfe) if you think the kits reach maximum dryness... the yeasthas a role. I still learn!!

peter, like you if fermentation is complete, with the concern of any wild yeast getting in to start referm. and how likely is that, then why add the sorbate.?Mind you,,,,,I've had a few glasses of max'ed out fermentaion tonight...it is a protector , none the less.
. RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Peter,

I believe you are correct. I have stopped adding sorbate to my dry reds. Though, I do make sure everything is *very* clean and as sterile as possible. I use an acid (starsan) to clean and sanitize, which I've read most people on this forum don't do. I also add a touch more K-meta. Primarily because I try to age my wines at least a year if not 2-3.

Masta did a big write up the other reasons to use sorbate but I cant
seem to find it right now. Maybe he'll chime in, I know he can find it!

Angell posted the link above regarding sorbate per Tim V. and I would agree that some of the reds have that perceived sweetness or the dreaded "kit taste" as I have read so many times. I do think the high end kits like the Crushendos and other don't have this.

I guess I am to scared not to add it ..I would hate to loose all that wine because I did not follow directions...Also I have not been doing this long enough to try things with my kits ..Once I learn more about the chemistry of winemaking the more I am sure I will mess with them... But for now it is step by step by step.....
smiley4.gif

I stopped adding it for a short time and then after learning a bit more about the benefits I went back to following the instructions.
smiley2.gif

It probably is a lack of Tannin. I posted elsewhere that, having seen the amount of oak in the MM Amarone, I may have been underdoing it on many of my reds.

Latest posts

Back