Mosti Mondiale Sonoma Edition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert123Carr

Reaction score
Has anyone started one of the Sonoma kits. I started the Cabernet Sauvignon kit. The s.g. was some what low. It was about 1.085. I think I will have to add some sugar.

From the MM web-site...
"Sonoma Edition is a unique product that provides home winemakers with both fresh refrigerated grape juice along with frozen grape skins. "

Fresh refrigerated juice has a habit of fermenting slowly even when very cold. Perhaps you should call MM and ask about it.

Even if it hasn't fermented a bit, it'll still be about 12%.

Steve

Yeah, I dont deal with juices like that as almost every time Ive bought one it had been fermenting. Ive never had a good wine that was made from a juice bucket.

Either my Hydrometer is off, or my Zin is gonna be BIG!!. SG 1.13+ at 68.5F I'm hoping some of that was "fizz" propping up thehydrometer. If not this thing will be close to 18% ABV

Took another reading today and it still showed 1.13+ using my wine thief and I know there is active fermentation (cap punched down twice already), so my initial reading was off. I put the hydro directly in the bucket and it is now reading 1.062 or so after fermenting for at least a day and a half, so likely starting was closer to 1.1??

I hope it didn't ferment down because I raised it up to 1.100. I am not sure what I will have. I will call MM tomorrow, maybe they will tell me what it was before it shipped. They have had the buckets awhile,the shipping was delayed because of freezing problems and shipping problems. Ole well.

Got a question about step 5. I have the Zin kit. SG is down to about 1, so fermentation is fairly complete. Step 5 says to add K-meta, but also add Ascorbic acid. Is this necessary?
Tasted the wine today and it is very tart

Also, is anyone adding ML bacteria to their reds? Descriptions of Zin state ML fermentation is encouraged. Step 7B says to add sorbate, but I've read that ML bacteria reacts with sorbate negatively, creating a geraniumsmellingcompound. If I bulk age long enough won't thatforgothe need for sorbate?

You need to talk with Mosti first and find out if these juice buckets have had the acid adjusted in any way before you think about doing MLF on one. Normally you would not attempt to do MLF on any pre-adjusted must product.

Mike, I have an email into Mosti, but what is the consequence of MLFing a wine that has been acid adjusted? EvenGeorge'sdescription says soemthign about ML culture as one of the ingredients you might want. Thx

<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">You are not supposed to ever do MLF on a normal kit wine as it has been pre-balanced and they have high amounts of Malic acid in them. If you were to do an MLF on a regular kit wine, it would end up with a high pH, tasting very flabby and be more prone or suspect to bacterial infections due to the high pH.
You need to find out if this must has been acid balanced before you attempt an MLF on it. Its very possible it has not been adjusted and you could do an MLF on it but you need to contact MM first and get a straight answer from them.

I have heard Mosti in bad about responding to emails. Give them a call at:
</span>TollFree: 1-800-MON-DIAL (666-3425)</span>
</span>If you do email send it to the right guy who can answer:</span>
</span>Matteo Meglioli</span>

So,Gottasay I am a littledisappointedin the yield of this kit. I just racked and even with all the junk, it is less than 6 gallons according to my 6 gallon carboy. Anyone elseexperiencethis? I know a buddy of mine had the sameissuewith his cab franc bucket

The old Mexican carboys are a tad bigger then 6 gallons and those arent made anymore but they are the smooth ones with no ridges on the side. The Italian 6 gallon carboys are more like 6.25 gallons which is probably what you have thus needing topping up. I know it really bites and wish they would adjust their mold or however they make these to something a little under instead of over 6 gallons!

geepmaley said:
So,Gottasay I am a littledisappointedin the yield of this kit. I just racked and even with all the junk, it is less than 6 gallons according to my 6 gallon carboy. Anyone elseexperiencethis? I know a buddy of mine had the sameissuewith his cab franc bucket

My Cab Sav bucket was just over 6 gallon with all the junk, but after the first racking I had to use a 5 gallon carboy. Notvery happy to have agallon less this early in the process.

ibglowin said:
You need to talk with Mosti first and find out if these juice buckets have had the acid adjusted in any way before you think about doing MLF on one. Normally you would not attempt to do MLF on any pre-adjusted must product.

I talked to someone at Mosti and was told that my SG may have been low due to it fermenting as it was thawing. Also told that I could do a MLF, nothing was done to the juice other than adding yeast and freezing.

Sounds like you are good to go then. Im a little more familiar with this now due to you so thanks.

I racked to a carboy on Sunday. I ended up with a full 5 gallon carboy and a 375ml bottle.

Latest posts

Back