WineXpert Someone's knocking at the door......

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Somebody ringing a bell......
He claims to be a Limited Release from the Red Mountain AVA in Washington state and brings a blend of Cab Sauv, Petit Verdot and Cab Franc to the party yet he brings no grape pack or grape skins with him and he's expecting me to provide one........
DSC03194b.jpg

I am just not sure I can trust the guy. He seems a bit bossy and is already trying to push out all the Cellar Craft, and Mosti Mondiale wines out of the cellar......

I am going to let him in just this one time. I gave him a verbal warning that no Limited Release should ever be supplied without a grape pack. Luckily for him I just so happen to have one of the last Cellar Craft Syrah grape packs on hand to stuff into his pie hole.
I am going to offer him up to the Vadai wine gods as a break in wine for my 3rd 23L barrel arriving next week.
Don't tell him as I don't want this to go to his head, but he had me at Red Mountain......
smiley4.gif

Your a brave man letting him inside your house. He's robbed me of riches I mean richness before. LOLJust kidding. I have a Stags Leap Merlot on order myself.

He doesn't seem to "play well with others". More than likely a one time deal. It came with 2 packages of RC212 but I don't see anything in the directions about adding both. What say ye?

</font>Mike
I did a small lots Meritage recently that only came with 1
packet of RC212. It took several days before I saw any yeast action. I called Winexpert
to make sure all was ok and they advised stir the juice into a froth… until
your arm feels like it is going to fall off then give it a couple more stirs.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /></font></font>

</font>Maybe the 2 packets will give it that much more yeast cells
to get started quicker!</font></font>

</font>

I poked around on the internet and found someone else who purchased a WE kit that came with a two pack of RC-212 and they emailed WE and got a reply that indeed yes you are supposed to use both.
I have used RC-212 before and its a good fermenter but not a fermenting monster like EC-1118. One is probably enough but two gives an insurance cushion to cover those winemakers who may not pay close enough attention to temps etc to ferment out to dry. I like the choice and will be adding some Booster Rouge in to the mix as well.

I've had success with WE Products, especially the LE kits, even without the grape packs. Lots of folks have begged them to add grape packs to the LE kits, if I recall they wanted to keep it simple and did not feel that they needed the gps.

Wade - you are ordering a WE kit?? This one must be outstanding!

Mike you should move this to the WE section of the forum.

vcasey, Ive only ever heard great things about the Stags Leap Merlot kit and I got a great deal on it or I wouldnt have bought it. I must try it. Mike, thats unusual that they use 2 packets in a standard red wine meaning not a Port or Ice wine and the fact they strayed from EC1118 or Red Star Premier Cuvee amazes me. OI just hope mine doesnt get stuck with a higher finished sg like the first few I made which was part of the reason I stopped buying them.

Mike, I have had two brand X kits that came with two packs of yeast. You do in fact use both of them. They did come back out with kits with grape packs and I have one cooking now. I really wish FVW still had them because they have a couple varieties that I really like, Petit Verdot and well Petit Verdot.

I know but I can still be sad. The WE shop nearest me (90 miles, Texas you know) is a BREW SHOP . . . need I say more?

Can't believe that Houston, the 4th largest city in the nation doesn't have an option for you.
Guess you have an excuse to go to Austin for some BBQ!

Update: Took some pics on Saturday 24 hours post yeast pitch. Two packs of RC-212 means this thing took off like a rocket pretty much. Its dropping around .01 every day this whole week. Yesterday was at 1.020. Keeping the temps at 74 degrees with the help of a brew belt. I only added the pack of french oak sawdust/chipettes and none of the hungarian oak as this will go into the Vadai as a break in wine. The new barrel arrived yesterday. Man those things are a beautiful work of art when brand new!
DSC03196.jpg

DSC03199.jpg

Wow, you added oak and your breaking it in on a new barrel? Someone likes to pet the Oak Monster!!!!

I've bulk aged some ME for 6 months now. After 8 months could I rotate it through an oak barrel? I'm scared (don't know how) to use the barrel.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

Mike,
Looking Great!

I bet it smells wounderful in your Wining Room!!!!!
smiley20.gif

Have you had a lot of Snow this new Year?

Scott

I got one for Christmas but haven't used it yet. Can I use wine that has been bulk aging for 8 months?<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

Latest posts

Back