Soil Testing!?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9CourseWineMusician

Sic Semper Verum Vinum
Reaction score
I'm finally at a stage where I can begin the ground work (no pun intended) of planting my vineyard. NOW! I need a little help, if its out there, getting my soil tested. I have been asking around and doing research online and really found nothing of help.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!

PS: Its good to be back!

If you have a pH meter

Sent to me from Brian at Milwaukee pH meters. http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/technical_tips.html

To check soil pH with ph Meter:

Two parts soil collected at a depth of approx 6 inches
One part bottled water

Remove any foreign matter and mix into a mud

Don’t jab probe into mud, look for a soft spot, (water standing)

Do not take samples from only one side of the field, only from the corners of the field, or from the same spot on each side of the field. Also, avoid taking soil samples near lime or manure piles, animal droppings, fresh fertilized rows, low spots, fences and roads.
When taking samples in turf and other shallow rooted crops, sample the top three inches of the soil. In ornamentals and other deep-rooted cultivated crops, sample the top six inches of soil — though you may test a shallower sample if it is taken shortly after tillage. In non-cultivated crops, soil samples should be six to eight inches deep. With deep-rooted non-legume crops such as corn, wheat and cotton, take a soil sample of seven inches to 24 inches in addition to the tillage sample.
2.) Mix — Place these samples in a clean plastic container.
3.) Measure — Remove a small amount (coffee measure) of 2 parts soil from your mix and add 1 part bottle drinking water. Pack soil in cup and always use a flat bottom measure cup to assure proper proportions.
4.) Shake and wait — Stir or shake the soil and water mixture vigorously. Then let sit for 1 to 2 minutes.
5.) Test — Turn on your pH meter, be sure you have calibrated your meter before running the test ( see owners manual ) remove the cap to expose the sensor, and dip the sensor completely in the solution. Record the reading displayed on the meter
Semper Fi

Excellent! Virginia Tech has an excellent extension office and I'll find out if they can help! Thanks to both of you!!!!!!!!

Excellent! Virginia Tech has an excellent extension office and I'll find out if they can help! Thanks to both of you!!!!!!!!

Check with your county extension as well. Mine (Prince William County) actually came out, took the soil samples, and sent them off to VA Tech. They then followed up with recommendations for soil additives, etc. This was for my lawn, but I would think they'd do the same for agriculture.

Latest posts

Back