WineXpert So far so good with the Selection Choc Raspberry Port...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AquaCom

Vendor/Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
There has been a fair bit of discussion here and other forums where people have had issues with this kit. I started the kit myself last Saturday morning and was getting a bit concerned that I would successfully get it to completion.

Well, so far, so good. I've been on contact with Wine Expert as well and confirmed what I am doing is "the right way".
Anyway, I thought I would start a little log with progress on this kit...

Started it off last Saturday at 24c (75f). Pretty much followed the instructions to the letter. I've been testing the SG regularly. Instructions state it should be down to 1.015 within 5-7 days, but I found even keeping at 75f it still took 8 full days!
So, I just added the Chaptalisation pack... yes... in one go.... For now I am keeping to the instructions and WIne Expert tell me it should be fine adding it in one go.
The SG popped up to 1.028 after adding the pack yesterday and it's been bubbling away very nicely for the last 24 hours. So, I'm hoping (crosses fingers) it won't get stuck like so many people have experienced.

So, I'll see how we're doing in a few days. Wish me luck....
Stuart

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got it under control! Keep up the good work.

Thanks. Really hope this one turns out OK. I've promised about 6 people they will get a bottle for Christmas :b

I would not bottle this by Christmas, this wine will drop lots of lees for quite some time. If you are going to do this then you surely better ryun this through a filter. I started min e yesterday and its ripping good so I already started adding just a wee bit of the Chap. pack. When I added some it almost jumped out of the bucket on me!

I started mine on Saturday also. This is my first kit. My only other experience has been with fruit wine and I used a yeast starter for those. It seems to me that fermentation has started (sounds like it and smells like it), yet with the fruit must and yeast starters, the fermentation was almost foamy where as with this kit I'm not seeing a whole lot of activity... What does yours look like?

I would not bottle this by Christmas, this wine will drop lots of lees for quite some time. If you are going to do this then you surely better ryun this through a filter. I started min e yesterday and its ripping good so I already started adding just a wee bit of the Chap. pack. When I added some it almost jumped out of the bucket on me!

Mine went mental as well Wade when I started it off. It nearly foamed out of the vessell :)
The main reason I bought this kit to be honest was to giveout as gifts. Trouble is many of the UK dealers said they had it in stock back in July (lies!!) so it's put me behind now. I'll maybe give them gifts from something else in the cellar as I don't want to give out port that is not ready.

...the fermentation was almost foamy where as with this kit I'm not seeing a whole lot of activity... What does yours look like?

You should be seeing some big activity by now. Both Wade and I have seen the fermentation on this kit go wild very quickly (although Wade did add some of the chap pack early on too). Mine foamed right up after less than 24 hours. When I spoken to W.E, they told me its "essential" the temp is started off and maintained as close to 24c (75f) as possible. If your temp is lower, I would try raising it to 75f and see if that kicks some life into it.

It looks like there is at least 3 of us on here, brewing this kit then.
I think it would be nice to have everyone update this thread with progress as it all seems we are using a different technique. Be interested to see what works, what doesn't and what the end results are..

:b

Anyone else brewing this kit right now?

Stuart

When I started on Saturday 10/9, the temp and juice was 72. It has not dropped below 72 and yesterday (Mon 10/11) during a 'heat' spell the temp actually peaked at 78. Currently the room temp is 72 and the juice is 78, with really no activity to speak of. I have the primary covered with a towel secured with an elastic band. Prior to adding the oak and yeast the juice was whipped with a drill mounted stirrer... now what?!

Hmmmmm.. very strange. Did you sprinkle the yeast on top and leave it there or did you stir it under the surface? I can't think of anything else that you have done different to me...

I sprinkled on the surface, I did not stir. I've been trying to follow the directions to the T...

Exactly the same process as me then. Might be worth dropping a note to Wine Expert. Their customer service is excellent and they usually reply/help pretty quickly. I'm sure some of the other guys on here will chip in later on, but Wine Expert might set your mind at rest in the meatime.
http://www.winexpert.com/contact-us

Thanks, I just did. Info from my kit;

Sel. Special
Chocolate Raspberry Port
0223710 0534
Bar Code 29181 00276

Yeast was Red Star Premier Cuvee

Linda

CRP day 3.JPG

I started this kit on Oct 7. I decided to follow Wade E's recommendation to add the dextrose in smaller amounts over time. Here's the progress thus far:

Start - SG 1.131 @ 74 degrees
1.5 days - SG 1.083 @ 78 degrees; added 150 mg dextrose in 1/2 cup water
3 days - SG 1.043 @ 77 degrees; added 150 mg dextrose in 1/2 cup water
4 days - SG 1.032 @ 78 degrees
5 days - SG 1.027 @ 73 degrees
6 days - SG 1.018 @ 75 degrees; added 150 mg dextrose in 1/2 cup water

I also stirred vigorously 1-2 times daily starting at day 1.5.

James

I'm still stuck...
I read in a previous post/thread about mixing vigorously for 2 mins in an attempt to get the yeast off the bottom and into suspension which I tried last night. If it's possible it looks like the SG rose to 1.132 from 1.128, either that or it's the sediment (oak?) I picked up with the wine theif from the bottom effecting it.
Ugh!

Well, eventually I hope to be joining you all!

I also started this kit on Sat (9th) after some questions on another thread. Here is how my double batch is going:
10/9--SG 1.127. Added yeast and it was bubbling like crazy by that evening.
Stirring everyday but not checking SG.
10/11--added 1/3 sugar mix (evening)
10/12--added 1/3 sugar mix (evening)
10/13--stirred before I went to work, but worked a 24 hr. call so...
10/14--SG 1.03. Added last 1/3 sugar mix after checking SG, as soon as I got home this morning.
It's still active but not bubbling as strongly as the first three days.
The primary is covered with a triple layer of cheesecloth held on with a heavy trash can rubber band. I found those bands (2 per pack) at a grocery store. They keep your trash bag from getting pulled into the can and they work great on the primary.

Should I continue to stir vigorously daily until the SG reaches (hopefully) 1.02 or less?

If it's possible it looks like the SG rose to 1.132 from 1.128, either that or it's the sediment (oak?) I picked up with the wine theif from the bottom effecting it.

Very possible!

My SG results so far....

2nd Oct: 1.133
6th Oct: 1.054
7th Oct: 1.033
8th Oct: 1.025
10th Oct (0930hrs): 1.018
10th Oct (20:23hrs): 1.015 (this was the que to add the Chap pack!!)
10th Oct (21:02hrs): 1.028 (after adding Chap pack)

Not tested since then but it's still bubbling away... :hug

Finally starting to show 'some' signs of activity...
Recommendations from Winexpert CS was to keep it warm and give it a stir in a day or so if needed. Monitor the gravity to see that it is changing.

Stuart, tell me about your aquarium heater. I had a new one from a previous aquarium but it was 200W and way too tall. I picked up a smaller 50W today but haven't taken it out of the package yet...

Thanks,
Linda

CRP day 5.JPG

OMG - I just checked the SG and it's about 1.015...what the heck?! It seems like its just about where it's supposed to be after 5-days of looking like it wasn't doing ANYTHING!! I added the aquarium thermometer, set it to 78 and will check the SG again tomorrow...go figure!

If you stirred it and then looked after a little to see it didnt look to active this is typical. Its settles down after stirring and takes time to look active again buts its still doing its thing usually. It just goes to show you visual signs arent accurate and the trusty hydrometer is the tool for the job. All my Chap. pack has been added gradually since Sunday when i started it and its down to 1.030 and still going decent. Hopefully this one goes down to where its supposed to as the first time it didnt with just following the instructions before i knew more about making wine and ways to keep it going better.

This thread is really helpful to me since many here started this kit about the same time.

Latest posts

Back