Smelly barrel

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i purchased a 55 gallon food grade barrel to use as a fermentation bucket. The problem is it had sliced jalapeños in it. What can I do to get rid of the smell? Or am I stuck with a smelly bucket I can’t use.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Unless I was making jalapeño wine, I'm not sure I'd use that.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

bstnh1

Reaction score
i purchased a 55 gallon food grade barrel to use as a fermentation bucket. The problem is it had sliced jalapeños in it. What can I do to get rid of the smell? Or am I stuck with a smelly bucket I can’t use.
Interesting! The 55 gal. food grade drums around here were mostly used for apple juice, pear juice and similar "non-smelly" stuff. They usually have a little juice left in them and have a fermented smell, but a good washing usually takes care that.

topper9520

Junior
Reaction score
why would you use any barrel that was used with any fruit or vegetable other then what your trying to make or a neutral barrel? get rid of it

Sage

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought 2 onion barrels in 1968, yes 1968, I can still smell onion in them. I have used them for water.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
My first blue 55gal drum was purchased in 1990, previously held cherry flavoring which is not the worst thing for wine, but it took several hot water cleanings and about a year of open air ventilation before the aroma was gone.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I loaded it down with baking soda, we’ll see in a few weeks. I guess I’m splitting this batch between my 2 20 gallon fermenters

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
why would you use any barrel that was used with any fruit or vegetable other then what your trying to make or a neutral barrel? get rid of it
Because it was 15 bucks. Figured it was worth a try.

I bought 2 onion barrels in 1968, yes 1968, I can still smell onion in them. I have used them for water.
I’ll bet.
That’s a lot of wine to put at risk vs. buying a new container.
Agreed, that’s why I decided not to use it on this batch.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Well, a smelly barrel is probably better than a smelly bung! :eek: