Smelly barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i purchased a 55 gallon food grade barrel to use as a fermentation bucket. The problem is it had sliced jalapeños in it. What can I do to get rid of the smell? Or am I stuck with a smelly bucket I can’t use.

i purchased a 55 gallon food grade barrel to use as a fermentation bucket. The problem is it had sliced jalapeños in it. What can I do to get rid of the smell? Or am I stuck with a smelly bucket I can’t use.

Interesting! The 55 gal. food grade drums around here were mostly used for apple juice, pear juice and similar "non-smelly" stuff. They usually have a little juice left in them and have a fermented smell, but a good washing usually takes care that.

why would you use any barrel that was used with any fruit or vegetable other then what your trying to make or a neutral barrel? get rid of it

My first blue 55gal drum was purchased in 1990, previously held cherry flavoring which is not the worst thing for wine, but it took several hot water cleanings and about a year of open air ventilation before the aroma was gone.

I loaded it down with baking soda, we’ll see in a few weeks. I guess I’m splitting this batch between my 2 20 gallon fermenters

why would you use any barrel that was used with any fruit or vegetable other then what your trying to make or a neutral barrel? get rid of it

Because it was 15 bucks. Figured it was worth a try.

I bought 2 onion barrels in 1968, yes 1968, I can still smell onion in them. I have used them for water.
I’ll bet.
That’s a lot of wine to put at risk vs. buying a new container.

Agreed, that’s why I decided not to use it on this batch.

Latest posts

Back