Small batch fast wine kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
So, I have my first wine kit going. It's going to be a long time before I can really try and even longer before I can (hopefully) enjoy it.

What I would like to try is to make smaller kits that are made to be drinkable in a few months rather than a year plus. Not to mention, I have minimal storage space until I buy another house.

So, I figured making small fast kits would be a good way to learn the ropes faster while I wait on the long term ones. I suppose that means fruit wines which makes me a bit nervous since some fruit wines that I have tried I wasn't all that fond of. That's okay as long as I don't have 30 bottles to plow through or go bad before I refuse to drink it. :)

Anyhow, for a small batch kit. I have the Master Vintner's six gallon kit with a few upgrades. For a small batch kit, what else do I need? Just 1 gallon glass jugs and maybe a smaller fermentation bucket?

Next, are there recommended kits that are small. I was looking at the Island Mist kit that I thought was a small kit, but it's not. (black cherry pinot noir sounds really good too :( )

Anyway, I could really use some recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Just because it is "small" does not make it any faster.

Island Mist kits are 6 gallon kits, and they are ready in a few months.
Winexpert™ Selection International Australian Petit Verdot is drinkable in 9 months.

Based on your comments regarding aging, I assume you're making a red wine as your first. Do you drink white wine? If so, you could start with one or two white kits next. Then, you can continue buying commercial reds while yours age, but still be able to enjoy white wines you've made after 3 months or so. Start now, and you'll be sipping your own Sauvignon Blanc by mid summer. ;)

As @sour_grapes mentioned, there's almost as much work involved in making one gallon as there is for six. If you're really stuck on doing 1 gallon, there are kits available from WineXpert: http://finevinewines.com/Z_ProdList-1-gallon-wine-kits.asp

I must have been confused as I thought I had read in a few places that some fruit wines can be made and drinkable within a couple of months.

As for the work, that's not a problem. I don't mind the work. I just can't store 5-10 full carboys and 100+ bottles of wine (beyond my current 105 purchased wine collection) I just don't have that type of storage in my apt.

Maybe what I should do is get others to go in with me on kits and split the bottles. This way I get to make more, try more different onces without being completely swamped in bottled wine I can't store.

So maybe the black cherry Pinot Noir is on the table after all. :)

Okay, so I just dumped the idea of a small fruit wine kit for now. I purchased another the WE Eclipse Sonoma Dry Creek Chardonnay. (I need white to go with my Shiraz I'm currently making)

The World Vineyard WE series should be drinkable in about 3 months of aging.

I'm sure there a differing opinions, but my experience is that all wines need at least a year to really integrate and start seeing their full potential. That being said, any wine can be drunk early and even enjoyed... but integration takes time. White wines and fruit wines tend to be more enjoyable early because they have lighter, crisper (acidic), fruitier, and sweeter flavors. Kits we've found to be very good early (again... much much better after a couple of years), are the Winexpert Vintners Reserve Angel Blanco and Mezza Luna Red. Rose' is also a good one to drink too early. :)

I'm sure there a differing opinions, but my experience is that all wines need at least a year to really integrate and start seeing their full potential. That being said, any wine can be drunk early and even enjoyed... but integration takes time. White wines and fruit wines tend to be more enjoyable early because they have lighter, crisper (acidic), fruitier, and sweeter flavors. Kits we've found to be very good early (again... much much better after a couple of years), are the Winexpert Vintners Reserve Angel Blanco and Mezza Luna Red. Rose' is also a good one to drink too early. :)

The Mezza Luna Red gets all three corners of the triangle in my book...Good, Cheap, and Fast! Most products you can only have two corners of the triangle.

We made ours slightly off dry and it is very pleasant after only a month in the bottle...but...it does get better. Got another kit working right now.

There's always crazier things to make as well to fool around with, get experience, and have fun. We've made a mojito wine (lemon lime base infused with spearmint), frozen fruit concentrate, roasted butternut, root beer, pineapple port, and many more "interesting" wines. They're not all great, but most are really good and a whole lot of fun. And the mojito is a good example of something you can definitely start drinking after a few months. Go crazy my friend!

Last edited:
Small and fast sounds like 6 cans of frozen concentrate and a bag of frozen fruit. Add to a gallon of water and sugar up to a SG of 1.080 or so. You will need to have a few things on hand like yeast, sorbate, sulphite, acid blend, and some sort of clearing agent. You will be drinking it In four to six weeks and dreaming up your next concoction.

For fast and cheap, the Island Mist kits are good. Many people add sugar or the fpack up front to boost the ABV.

Dragon's Blood and Skeeter Pee are fruit wines that are also fast and cheap.

However, if you have limited storage, I would make what you like to drink. If that's red wine, then you may just have to start another red kit and wait for it to be ready.

Small and fast sounds like 6 cans of frozen concentrate and a bag of frozen fruit. Add to a gallon of water and sugar up to a SG of 1.080 or so. You will need to have a few things on hand like yeast, sorbate, sulphite, acid blend, and some sort of clearing agent. You will be drinking it In four to six weeks and dreaming up your next concoction.

This. If you are a big bold red drinker using dark berry concentrate (blueberry Pomegranate juice maybe) and blackberries as your frozen fruit will get you a VERY serviceable blush.

Raisins get you extra body, but necessitate more aging time. The formula quoted, 2 lbs of chopped raisins per 5 gal, and 12ish weeks at 1.085-1.09 OG would work pretty well. Much better after 5-6 months (still better than a year).

Latest posts

Back