WineXpert Skipping Racking to "Secondary" Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David219

Reaction score
I've read that some ferment to dry in primary fermentation, snapping down the lid when the SG gets to around 1.010. For those that have done this, when you rack out of the bucket, do you immediately de-gas and top off the carboy?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

If I ferment to dry in a big plastic bucket:
I vacuum rack to degas, usually about 4 transfers
Add stabilizers and clarifiers
Back sweeten if necessary
I do reserve a little headspace, at least for the first week or so. I've had a few referments.

I've read that some ferment to dry in primary fermentation, snapping down the lid when the SG gets to around 1.010. For those that have done this, when you rack out of the bucket, do you immediately de-gas and top off the carboy?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

As long as fermentation is complete, just proceed with stabilization and clearing as though you did transfer to a secondary container. You will want to top it off at this point, as usual, unless you plan on bottling relatively soon.

I have wondered about this too. I have recently purchased wine kits with the following stages:
Day 1: Mix must (juice, bentonite, water, sprinkle yeast)
Day 14: Rack wine, and do the degass immediately after do clarifying process
Day 42: Bottle

I am not planning on waiting until day 42 because I have read that 2 weeks is all you should bulk age if you don't top up wine in the carboy and you have a lot of surface area and air in there...

After 13 years of making wine, this is the first time I came across no 2ndary fermentation process after day 8 or so, for another week in the glass.

When I primary to dry I usually rack to glass carboy and top up. I either do a clean or dirty rack based on the instructions. I let it rest for two or three weeks as a resting secondary. Topped up and under air lock. Then I proceed to clearing.

Latest posts

Back