Sketer Pee - Is started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I transferred mind a couple of days ago, I ended up with a 5 gallon batch and a 1 gallon batch. The 1 gallong batch is clearing already and the 5 gallon is dropping off the top part is lighter than the bottom. I am expecting to have this cleared within the month.

I believe my pee is done fermenting. I need to check the sg tonight. I haven't seen any activity in the airlock or bubbles in the pee for 2-3 days. It's been 2 weeks since this was started.

Same pretty much goes for my Berry Melomel, no noticable activity in a few days.

I'll likely rack off into clean carboy over the weekend.

I checked the sg of the pee, it is done. SG was .990 . It doesn't taste very tart to me. I took a small sample and back sweetened a little and still doesn't have much of a lemony flavor. I think I may need to add some juice when I back sweeten to give it more of a lemonaid taste. Not sure. Looking for suggestions.

...... It doesn't taste very tart to me. I took a small sample and back sweetened a little and still doesn't have much of a lemony flavor. I think I may need to add some juice when I back sweeten to give it more of a lemonaid taste. Not sure. Looking for suggestions.

Doug,
I've found there's some variance in the potency of bottled lemon juice; some have more kick than others. Be aware that the lemon flavor can "hide" when the Pee is dry. I see that you sweetened a sample "a little". Try adding a bit more sugar to another sample and see if it'll force the lemon flavor out for you. If the lemon still doesn't pop, try a bit more sugar. If even after a good sweetening, the lemon doesn't come through, then you may want to add some more lemon. Some people use frozen concentrate to back-sweeten, others use more lemon juice. I actually keep fresh lemons in the fridge and slice a small wedge and shove in the bottle before serving.

Be careful not to add too much lemon though. Skeeter Pee is typically a high acid beverage already. Bump the acidity too much and it'll strip the enamel off your teeth and burn a hole in your stomach.
- Lon

Doug,
I've found there's some variance in the potency of bottled lemon juice; some have more kick than others. Be aware that the lemon flavor can "hide" when the Pee is dry. I see that you sweetened a sample "a little". Try adding a bit more sugar to another sample and see if it'll force the lemon flavor out for you. If the lemon still doesn't pop, try a bit more sugar. If even after a good sweetening, the lemon doesn't come through, then you may want to add some more lemon. Some people use frozen concentrate to back-sweeten, others use more lemon juice. I actually keep fresh lemons in the fridge and slice a small wedge and shove in the bottle before serving.

Be careful not to add too much lemon though. Skeeter Pee is typically a high acid beverage already. Bump the acidity too much and it'll strip the enamel off your teeth and burn a hole in your stomach.
- Lon

I was planning on stabilizing and backsweetening soon. My sg was .990 when I checked over the weekend. I wanted to wait til I had time to take care of this properly. I was going to backsweeten as suggested wait a few days for everthing to mesh together and then if needed add a little more lemon.

It tasted okay to me although my wife thought it could have a more lemon flavor. I like the idea of the slice of lemon while serving. May give that approach a try.

Welcome to the forum Lon, it's good to have the creator of Skeeter Pee here.

welcome LON

Its a great pleasure to have you here! Many of us in here enjoy a good PEE!

Thanks for your idea on this, as you have seen we have tweaked it, drank it , changed the name, but it will always be Skeeter Pee!

Glad to have you here, would you like to pull up a stool? Have one on us!

Heres one for you Lon, thanks for coming in and saying hi, great to see you!!!

:b

Troy

Last edited:
Minnmaker, rumour has it that you are the inventor of this skeeter pee is this true?

Minnmaker, rumour has it that you are the inventor of this skeeter pee is this true?

You got it; just my little contribution to home winemakers everywhere. Hoping to share and learn from everyone here on the forum. Cheers

We just finished a successful five gallons of pee ourselves but took the advise of vvolf34 by reversing the process of fermentation. Well not so much reverse it but eliminate the need for a yeast slurry or yeast starter.

Simply put, I didn't have anything coming off of primary and am not all that patient with a yeast starter so...

.....I started the fermentation with just the sugar water and other nutrients. 18 hours later fermentation was going nicely and I added the first full bottle of RealLemon.

I acted like Devo and "whipped it real good."

Two hours later I added the second bottle and once again went "Devo" on it.

48 hours later gravity was down to 1.050 so the last bottle went in and once again I whipped in the oxygen.

I too noticed the lemon meringue pie phenomenon. It looked like a crown of foam.

SG continued to drop quickly and it was almost to 1.0 before I racked everything, including the lees to carboy to let it finish to dry 7 days after I first pitched the yeast.

Four days later we added sulphites, mixing all the lees up into suspension. Then degassed with vacuum aspirator.

Soon after we added the Kielsolel and a few minutes later chitosen. Clearing was visible almost immediately.

We've since racked to a clean carboy leaving the lees behind. We drew off half gallon of wine and sweetened it with half a cup of sugar. Seemed perfect so we made a slurry with five cups of sugar and added it to the carboy.

It's going to go into beer bottles not too long in the future.

Thanks Lon for a great idea, hope you don't mind the TWEEKS we've made.

picture.php

Last edited:
Back