Silicon sealant?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Reaction score
Could I use silicon sealant used in bathrooms on my fermenting bucket?
Or will it turn my wine into vinecar?

No, it will work its way into the wine and ruin it. If you have a leak either get a new bucket or get a new gasket.

Thanks, (close escape ;))

I want to put an extra grommit in the lid of the bucket for a temperature sensor that switches my brewbelt.

I need to fill the grommit with something to make it airtight.
But with what?

Last edited:
Thanks, (close escape ;))

I want to put an extra grommit in the lid of the bucket for a temperature sensor that switches my brewbelt.

I need to fill the grommit with something to make it airtight.
But with what?

I don't think the grommet needs any sealant if it is sized correctly. The one for my airlock, for example, is just a friction-fit rubber piece. I suppose the question is: how big is the temperature sensor? Can you get a grommet that is the same size?

The other consideration is: Do you really need the primary bucket to be air-tight? Most of us do NOT ferment under airlock in the primary fermentation vessel, but rather just cover the bucket with a piece of cloth or just leave the lid loosely on top.

The grommit itself is airthight, but only a thin wire is led through it so its the hole in the middle that I'd like to fill.

The bubbling of the airlock gives me a visual indication of how things are going and I'm sure nothing flies/crawls into the most.

If it's going to be in the lid and not in contact with the must/wine you could use hot glue. I used hot glue to affix a vinyl drain tube on a strainer I fabricated. Works great.

Use a cork or solid stopper. Drill a hole in the cork/stopper to fit the temp probe, and then a hole in the lid slightly smaller than the cork/stopper.

You can get a food grade silicone sealer. I have used it on my whole house filter that I filter wine with and have had no issues

BOB

Back