What kind of carboy bungs and airlocks are you using?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
Good morning, folks.. been watching the excellent YouTube channel that was recommended to me here on WMT - The Home Winemaking Channel. If you haven't watched them, do so...

Anyhow, the channels author said that he only uses the airlocks that have the two chambers and stressed that the silicone bungs with the flap should be avoided as they can let in air (silicone not as impermeable). Rubber bungs and the aforementioned airlocks are the way to go. What have you been using? Do you go with his suggested set up? I think he's on to something with suggestion that a silicone bung is permeable. I feel that some of my wines have oxidized to some extent over the years and maybe due to my use of the bungs with flaps. Also, what liquid are you placing into the airlocks? He suggested something with a high alcohol content (vodka?) or Starsan.

Thoughts?

Good morning, folks.. been watching the excellent YouTube channel that was recommended to me here on WMT - The Home Winemaking Channel. If you haven't watched them, do so...

Anyhow, the channels author said that he only uses the airlocks that have the two chambers and stressed that the silicone bungs with the flap should be avoided as they can let in air (silicone not as impermeable). Rubber bungs and the aforementioned airlocks are the way to go. What have you been using? Do you go with his suggested set up? I think he's on to something with suggestion that a silicone bung is permeable. I feel that some of my wines have oxidized to some extent over the years and maybe due to my use of the bungs with flaps. Also, what liquid are you placing into the airlocks? He suggested something with a high alcohol content (vodka?) or Starsan.

Thoughts?
I only use Silicone Bung (Breathable) - PET Carboy (#10) | MoreWine , and have been for years, with NEVER a single issue. I have carboys full of wine from 2018 & 2019 grape harvest, under these bungs, and am fully confident that my wine is in great shape.

Yes silicone is permeable to oxygen with a coefficient of 40700 cc oxygen per mm thick per meter square at one atmosphere applied pressure and 25C ,,,
don’t know what corks are made of, but for comparison butyl rubber is rated 140 cc ,,,
stainless and glass are rated at zero cc oxygen ,,,
and I should look up the transmission in water (air lock)

and for comparison 2, 4, 8, and 26 mm oak was measured to transfer 60 mg oxygen per liter volume per hour with pure oxygen
a natural cork (number 9 shape) transmits 5 mg oxygen per year
an aluminum screw cap is rated .01 mg oxygen per year

to minimize oxygen we use a relatively small cork on a relatively large glass carboy,, hoping for no transmission because the rubber cork is getting old/ scratched and keep the pressure equal in the vessel with the atmosphere by having an air lock, or reduce the percentage oxygen in the atmosphere/ headspace
BUT in the end alcohol is a reduced chemical which is on the road to getting spoiled (oxidized),, if there isn’t a little oxygen the wine gets described as reductive (sulfury) ,,,, ALL wine has a life, conclusion small bottles spoil faster than stainless tanks

Last edited:
Similar to @Johnd, I've been using vented bungs for 4 years, and while I haven't kept wine under a bung as long as he has, I have experienced no problems. Wine has spent a year under a bung then 3 years in bottle, and is fine.

Regarding airlocks? I use 3 piece airlocks, as I discovered that if crud gets into a double-bubbler, they're tough to clean. Three piece locks clean easily. I clean all equipment immediately after use, and periodically drop all bungs and airlocks in One Step for 30 minutes as an extra cleaning in all the crevices. But it doesn't honestly matter what type of lock is used -- both do the intended job.

I use plain water in airlocks, but I also check airlocks weekly. Actually, I examine ALL containers weekly. Long ago I used K-meta solution, but discovered it grows mold once the free SO2 is gone. Your diligence matters far more than what you put in the airlock.

I have a couple of silicone stoppers with the flaps, but they're different than the one in Johnd's link. It's cast in 2 pieces so that there's a seam that runs through the middle from top to bottom all the way around it. The flap doesn't seat flat, so I never trusted it to do the job. I won't ever use them. As far as bungs, I was using the traditional rubber stoppers, the plain yellowish ones, then I found a place that has white ones, not the translucent white like silicone, but solid white. They're less slippery than silicone, but more slippery than the rubber. They seem to seat better and don't get the ring indent from the carboy when removed.

I'm not a super fan of the S type airlocks, but with the weather changing I see the value of them. They don't have liquid suckback when the temperature cools down. I still use mostly 3 piece because they're easier to clean. I sometimes fill them with glycerin if I'm aging for a long time so I don't have to worry so much about evaporation if I forget about it. And with glycerin, suckback just contributes to mouthfeel if anything.

he only uses the airlocks that have the two chambers and stressed that the silicone bungs with the flap should be avoided as they can let in air (silicone not as impermeable)
This is why this forum is great. I don't mean any disrespect to the channel, but you can take one persons opinion and put it up against 10 members experience and make a very safe choice with the answers provided.

I have not been able to find the breathable bungs locally, but have been trying for some time. I think I may have to suck it up and place a US order. I just placed an order for 2 chamber airlocks. I want to try them because of the claims that they do not evaporate as fast.

I was just looking for some more of the breathable silicone bungs and the only size I seem to find are the #10, as in JohnD's link above. #10's are for the better bottle type of carboy.

That gives me a bit of pause to get more.

Looks like Lodi Wine Labs has some #7, I believe that is the one for standard sized carboys.

I was just looking for some more of the breathable silicone bungs and the only size I seem to find are the #10, as in JohnD's link above. #10's are for the better bottle type of carboy.

That gives me a bit of pause to get more.

Looks like Lodi Wine Labs has some #7, I believe that is the one for standard sized carboys.
I almost got excited. $27 to purchase 5. $52 to ship to Canada. That's a bit hard to swallow. The search continues!

No love for Missouri either, $30 for 5 bungs, $65 for shipping and handling, not going to happen.

It's funny, really. I've bought a bunch of stuff from them before and the shipping was always pretty normal. Now, I went though the same exercise and they wanted $41 to ship 6 bungs from Seattle to Sacramento. That's ridiculous and may actually be a mistake.

Latest posts

Back