What kind of carboy bungs and airlocks are you using?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why this forum is great. I don't mean any disrespect to the channel, but you can take one persons opinion and put it up against 10 members experience and make a very safe choice with the answers provided.
Yup. There is an amazing number of videos and blogs that promote bad ideas, and not just in winemaking.

Videos and blogs are essentially lectures -- one-way communication. WMT is essentially a virtual classroom where we all are teachers, even if we don't realize it. Ideally we are all students as well, where we are all learning as well.

Good morning, folks.. been watching the excellent YouTube channel that was recommended to me here on WMT - The Home Winemaking Channel. If you haven't watched them, do so...

Anyhow, the channels author said that he only uses the airlocks that have the two chambers and stressed that the silicone bungs with the flap should be avoided as they can let in air (silicone not as impermeable). Rubber bungs and the aforementioned airlocks are the way to go. What have you been using? Do you go with his suggested set up? I think he's on to something with suggestion that a silicone bung is permeable. I feel that some of my wines have oxidized to some extent over the years and maybe due to my use of the bungs with flaps. Also, what liquid are you placing into the airlocks? He suggested something with a high alcohol content (vodka?) or Starsan.

Thoughts?
That channel has some really cool videos and the guy is informative. He’s also a member on WMT.

But things just like that comment on vented bungs— when he speaks in absolutes as though he’s an expert but contradicts something I know to be true, it really gets under my skin. Idk, it’s like a perceived smugness as if my winemaking isn’t good enough. But then I feel ridiculous for even thinking that all lol. B/c after all the guy is creating some fantastic content for home winemakers and clearly loves what he’s doing.

(And btw, after the first few months and MLF is done I’m 100% all vented silicon bungs. Unfortunately the demijohn #11’s are difficult to find. And before that point I use ‘S’ bubblers filled with Kmeta)

I use #6.5 and #7 rubber stoppers in jugs. Some jugs have an odd lip and the 6.5 will slowly rise out if not taped. PITA.
I use mostly plastic carboys (3's and 5's) so use I think it's #10 rubber stoppers.
I have both 3-piece and S-type airlocks but will use the S-type first because I like to watch the bubbles.

I was just looking for some more of the breathable silicone bungs and the only size I seem to find are the #10, as in JohnD's link above. #10's are for the better bottle type of carboy.

That gives me a bit of pause to get more.

Looks like Lodi Wine Labs has some #7, I believe that is the one for standard sized carboys.
Don’t know why MoreWine doesn’t have the carboy sized ones, but I’m pretty sure theses are the same: #7 Vented Silicone Stopper (USA)

...silicone bungs with the flap should be avoid
I thought these flap bungs were just for fermentation, and once you've finished producing bubbles you switch to a solid one? That's also the recommendation in the manufacturer's website that @CDrew posted above. I have some mini-solid bungs that fit in the airlock hole in a larger bung. I guess technically they might not be as airtight as a one piece solid bung, but they seem fine so far.

Airlocks... I use mainly the 3-piece kind, though I have a few S-type that came with a pack of 1-gal jugs that I ordered. I fill them with water, often with a spray of K-meta. As @winemaker81 says, check them and refresh them often...

I thought these flap bungs were just for fermentation, and once you've finished producing bubbles you switch to a solid one?
I'm hesitant to use a solid bung in carboys -- a change in temperature and/or pressure, especially if the wine is not degassed, can blow the bung. A vented bung lets the gas out, and the shape prevents it from being sucked in.

Barrels evaporate through the wood; I use solid bungs as I'm not normally concerned about blowing the bung (although I had it happen when a wine that stuck at 1.000 decided to ferment 3 months later).

During my weekly check, I examine all bungs and airlocks to ensure things are good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back