shrink caps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lieu

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have tried to use steam from a boiling pot of H2o,sticking the bottle in boiling water and also a hair drier and none seamed to work good. The hair drier worked but took about 3-4 minutes. Does anyone have any tips? I looked in the tutorials but didnt see anything. There was 1 but couldnt get the link. Thanks guys.
smiley5.gif

Thanks Dan,
I guess I will be visiting Harbor Freight tomorrow. They might have one???

I bought mine there. Hold the capsule on the bottle with a spoon or something so you don't burn your finger. Then start at the top and work your way down on the capsule. After doing 3 or 4, you'll get the hang of it in no time. Good Luck.

+1 to what Dan said. I bottled my first batch last week using a heat gun. I held the bottom edge of the cap (carefully) with my fingers and, starting at the top, applied heat until it grabbed the upper edge of the bottle, and then, worked my way down. If you get a few wrinkles, just keep passing the heat over it and they will smooth right out. Good Luck!!

One Christmas I got the electric shrink wrapper for the shrink caps from George - very easy, just slide the bottle in with the shrink cap loose on it and it is shrink wrapped in a few seconds - I can't find it listed on the Winemaker Toy Store site anymore so I don't know if Georgecarries it any longer

I have seen the electric shrink wrappers on other sites and they are fairly pricey. Grapestompers has one for $224 but I seem to remember seeing one for about $150. One would need to have to shrink an awful lot of bottles to make that pay off.

http://www.finevinewines.com/XPListSubRe.asp?MM_PartNumber=19000

<DIV align=center>
19000.jpg

It is about $170 more or less depending on discount. It seems like a lot, but it depends on what toys you want and need worse.I have done thousands of bottles with mine. It is effortless, but does put out a lot of heat. You can heat a small room up with it while you do a few case. It takes ~2 seconds or less for it to shrink after about 60 seconds warmup the first time.

Have you tried it Mike? It works here for me................... Of course I don't have the advantages of a Mac....................

It is product 19000 for those that get the Merlot Bucket.

Get the "MM AJ Merlot" just like Dan did the other night. Did you see that thread in the Mods section?

Is that better now Mike? Yes I saw Dan's post and the solution, but it worked here for me when I tried it so I assumed it was OK.

You must be caching the image/link or something.......
smiley24.gif

That link works fine since its not the ASP redirect.

Am I blind or did the "search" function disappear form the FVW website?

The search is still there. It is a great big link in the upper left side of the main page and says something like "Search" Click it and it brings up the search function. It took me a few seconds to figure out where it went also.

That must have been added after the conversion. I don't think it was there originally. I even asked the question at the time and was told that it had not been added yet.

Holy cow for some reason that does NOT show up in any scan of the page, bad location and just plain blends in to the background.

Back