Sg 1.2 !!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on how you hydrated the yeast the fermentation may be slow to get going. Make sure that you aerate your must VERY well also. With so much sugar the yeast are going to need a lot of oxygen to go with the nutrients in order to keep going.

8 pounds of skittles and 14 cups of sugar! Will this ferment?
S.G. 1.2

Do you really mean 1.200? If so, I wonder how you measured it. My hydrometer only goes up to 1.150.

Probably you meant 1.120, which is high (16%). Or perhaps 1.020 or 1.002, which are both quite low, but with that amount of sugar would indicate that fermentation has progressed nicely.

Steve

EC-1118 was the yeast. Yes it was 1.12 SG I misread it. I'm not sure on the sugar amount. I made some apple juice wine and added 15 cups for 6 gallons so I did the same for skittles. I should find out in the next day or two if it's going to ferment.

EC-1118 was the yeast. Yes it was 1.12 SG I misread it. I'm not sure on the sugar amount. I made some apple juice wine and added 15 cups for 6 gallons so I did the same for skittles. I should find out in the next day or two if it's going to ferment.

For future reference when adding sugar, only add what is need to bring to a specific gravity. that high of a gravity reading is going to give you rought about 16% ABV, which is pretty high for a fruit flavored wine.

Could I stop the fermentation early? Add sorbate and bottle? Will Fruit favored wine at 16% ABV taste too strong?

Could I stop the fermentation early? Add sorbate and bottle? Will Fruit favored wine at 16% ABV taste too strong?

The skittles wine may taste fine at 16%, for most wines to be classified as dessert wines they have to be at least 15%--for some perspective. You may want to check out pasteurizing because stopping a ferment with sorbate and k-meta is not 100%.

Latest posts

Back